International Opportunities Fair showcases study abroad options

Katie Melson

Students interested in traveling to Antarctica, Wales or anywhere in between will have the opportunity to hear tales from students who have done the same Monday during the International Opportunities Fair.

“This is the biggest study abroad event of the year,” said Christine Gemignani, program coordinator of international education services.

The fair, running from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, is an event where students can get information about studying abroad and have questions and concerns addressed.

Some students can even talk to their program administrators who will be taking care of them in their study abroad program, Gemignani said.

“If [students] are interested at all they should make the time to go,” she said.

The fair will have over 70 on and off-campus exhibitors with international music, door prizes and a chance to win a travel backpack, Gemignani said. This year the study abroad center has added informational sessions after the fair that will prepare students to study abroad, she said.

“The fair is the easiest and fastest way to obtain information about studying abroad,” said Magan Smith, senior in marketing. “Why not take advantage of it?”

Smith said she will be attending the fair for the first time because she has concerns about classes that are available and how the credits will transfer over to Iowa State.

“Studying abroad is the best way to experience the world while I’m young,” she said. “It makes sense to travel while I have the loans and can justify to my parents that it’s for school,” Smith said

Alisha Roeder, sophomore in graphic design, said she is returning to the fair because the exhibitors were helpful and willing to answer every question she had about studying abroad during the last time she attended. She said it would help her build connections and gain insight into the program she plans on attending in the spring of 2005.

“I want to get more excited about it because they’re excited about it,” Roeder said.