Bugeja brings energy, vision to new job as director of Greenlee School

Morgan Mcchurch

For Michael Bugeja, the new director of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, Iowa State already feels like home.

Bugeja said he knew he was at the right school even during the interview process, because the search committees made him “feel at home.”

“[The search committee] was direct and took rebuttals in good spirits,” Bugeja said.

Bugeja said he thought Iowa State was the best match for him because of his previous experience and because of his chance to help organize the school. Bugeja came to Iowa State from Ohio University and the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

“Scripps is a world-class organization,” Bugeja said.

“If I had stayed, I could have only maintained what others built. By coming here, I can work with students, faculty, alumni and friends of the school to create a new structure.”

Bugeja said education and stewardship are very important to him, but they have been important for the population as a whole for quite some time.

“Education was really founded particularly to raise awareness so people could make educated decisions when voting,” Bugeja said.

Bugeja has also worked for United Press International, which is a subsidiary of Scripps. Bugeja said this means one of the perks of his position is he will be able to help students get Scripps internships, but he wants to focus mostly on a sense of stewardship and student involvement.

“There are many other foundations that we want to continue to work with as well,” Bugeja said. “These include, but are by no means limited to, Meredith Corporation, the Des Moines Register, other area print news services, broadcast television and public relation agencies.”

Bugeja said he would also like to create a portfolio day, which would allow students to show off their work.

Improving the Greenlee School Web site, a resource he said he does not feel is fully utilized, is also on Bugeja’s agenda. He suggested students go to the Web site to learn more about the faculty and important news that pertains specifically to them.

Bugeja said he really wants to keep the focus in the Greenlee School on the students. He said he is looking into forming a student advisory board, but also wants input from the different clubs related to journalism and communication.

“I think the director needs to meet at least monthly with all [JL MC] student groups, including the Daily and Ethos,” Bugeja said.

Stephen Coon, associate professor of journalism and communication, said he agrees with Bugeja that student input to help in decision-making processes is very important.

Coon was part of the search committee that chose Bugeja. Coon said his first and continuing impression is that Bugeja is a fast learner, very student-oriented and that he is, overall, very impressed with the director.

“He’s a very dynamic guy, very energetic and bright,” Coon said.

“Even just two weeks in, his enthusiasm has us off to a great start.”