Proposed changes to calendar may interfere with intramurals

Hannah Fletcher

Intramural enthusiasts may find the university’s Calendar B proposal could limit students’ opportunities to participate in outdoor intramural sports.

“There is a possibility all outdoor [intramural] sports would be affected by Calendar B,” said Garry Greenlee, associate director for recreation services. “A large percentage of teams would have to work around schedule conflicts.”

The Calendar B option would alter the academic calendar by lengthening each class by five minutes and elongate winter and summer breaks. Classes would end at 5:35 p.m. instead of 5 p.m., which could make it difficult for students to make it to games.

Enrollment in intramurals would be expected to decrease, said Linda Marticke, program coordinator for recreation services.

“I have class from 3:40 to 5 [p.m.] now, so I’m in a hurry to get to games. You want to have time to go to class, eat and play,” said Dan Skinner, junior in mechanical engineering and intramural chair for his dorm floor.

Scheduling conflicts are already a concern among participants, Marticke said.

“With the calendar we have now, I get phone calls indicating we need to change game times because people can’t make it at five,” Marticke said. “It is going to be even later with Calendar B.”

Recreation services anticipates sports such as flag football, soccer, softball, ultimate Frisbee and possibly sand volleyball would all see decreases in participation if Calendar B is chosen to replace the current schedule, Calendar A.

This year, there are approximately 265 teams in flag football, 230 in softball, 75 to 100 in ultimate Frisbee and 120 in soccer, Greenlee said.

“There are some people that play just softball or just soccer and this may limit their opportunities to do that,” Marticke said. “Intramurals are a good stress reliever and a good way to meet people. I think students will be disappointed if they aren’t able to play.”

The final decision to change the calendar will come from President Gregory Geoffroy. If Calendar B is approved, it will be implemented in either 2005 or 2006. Students, faculty and staff can post comments or concerns on the academic calendar discussion Web site until Nov. 14.

“I think people like the way it is now because they get a chance to play and class schedules aren’t a problem 90 percent of the time,” Skinner said.

Laurent Hodges, member of the academic task force and said there are several advantages to Calendar B. The calendar, which would shorten the length of academic semesters and make winter and summer breaks longer, allows more time for students and faculty to prepare for spring semester. It also allows time for January term condensed courses, which allow students to take one-to-three-credit courses before spring semester.

“I wouldn’t think a few minutes later would make a difference [for intramurals],” said Hodges, professor of physics and astronomy. “In many courses, [students] can sign up for courses at earlier times — then they could be free earlier in the afternoon for other things. Everyone would have to make some adjustments.”

Greenlee suggested students look at the calendar options to determine what works best.

“The number one thing [students] are here for is their education,” Greenlee said.

It is possible Calendar B would affect indoor intramurals as well, Marticke said. Athletic practices would have later practice times, which would cause intramural sports that use the same facilities to have later times.

She said the calendar option may also affect recreation services’ ability to find enough employees and officials that won’t have schedule conflicts.

“[A schedule change is] not going to make or break Iowa State, but personally I prefer the calendar the way it is,” Marticke said. “I hate to see people not be able to participate in these sports.”

— Daily staff reports contributed to this article.