Dry weather, high pollen counts taking toll on students’ allergies

Liz Duff

Itchy eyes, runny nose and sore throat are symptoms that affect many Americans, especially during the fall season. The dry weather is not only affecting crop growth, it is taking a toll on allergy sufferers. Pollen, dust and mold are just a few of the allergies people are facing.

Katie Dunn, junior in sports management, said her allergies have been acting up since she has returned to school.

“I wake up in the morning and can’t breathe out of my nose,” Dunn said. “My throat hurts and my eyes are puffy.”

She said fall and spring are the worst times of the year for her.

“Once the first frost hits, I’m fine until spring rolls around,” Dunn said.

Dr. Marc Shulman, chief of staff at the Thielen Student Health Center, said pollen levels are extremely high due to the dry weather and are causing seasonal allergies. Schulman said avoidance, although not always practical, is the best way to prevent allergy outbreaks.

“Multiple doctors [at the student health center] have seen approximately four to five students a day [with allergy-related complaints],” Shulman said.

He offered several ways to avoid outbreaks — don’t go out during windy times, stay away from weeded areas and don’t leave windows open.

He recommended allergy sufferers begin with over-the-counter medication.

“Ten years ago, over-the-counter medicines were our prescription medicines,” Shulman said. “The generic form of Benadryl, diphenhydramine, is a good place to start, and works just the same as Benadryl and costs less. Nasal saline spray is another option that works very well.”

If over-the-counter medication doesn’t take effect, Shulman recommended the use of nasal inhalers or prescription medications.

“If we don’t see any improvement from the medications, we will administer allergy testing and shots if needed,” Shulman said. “Allergy shots can take anywhere from a few months to a year to build a good response.”

Terry Webster, graduate student in toxicology, said August and September have been his problem months for allergies.

“I’ve been taking Sudafed and using saline solution to wash the dust out of my nose,” Webster said. “I also vacuum and dust my house on a daily basis and don’t sleep with the windows open.”

He said he has taken allergy shots for 12 years and has never seen much of an improvement.

“I also tend to face problems with my allergies during finals week, due to stress and changes in my sleeping and eating patterns,” Webster said.

Shulman said it is better to use medication regularly rather than episodically. He encouraged allergy sufferers to remove carpet from the home and keep the air conditioner running in the summer to alleviate allergy problems.

“Once the first frost hits, allergy symptoms diminish,” Shulman said.