WelcomeFest connects students with the Ames community

Kate Lewellen

Balloons, snacks, coupons and Koozies won’t be the only freebies awaiting students at this year’s WelcomeFest.

The popular on-campus event will also feature job opportunities, entertainment and much more.

WelcomeFest returns to the ISU campus from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday. Booths will be set up in the Great Hall, South Ballroom and Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the dean of students office, said she encourages ISU students to attend WelcomeFest every year.

“WelcomeFest is an opportunity for students to find out what ISU and the community of Ames has to offer,” Bestler-Wilcox said. “It is a great way for students to start the year.”

Bestler-Wilcox said the event will feature 118 tables manned by organizations, businesses, churches, non-profit organizations, ISU groups and others. She said students will be offered free merchandise, entertainment and may even be able to find jobs by visiting with the groups represented at WelcomeFest.

Bestler-Wilcox said there are more groups at WelcomeFest this year than ever before.

T-Galaxy, 206 Welch Ave., is one of the area businesses represented at WelcomeFest. The store carries only ISU merchandise.

Sarah DeSotel, T-Galaxy employee and senior in journalism and communication, said WelcomeFest is an opportunity to get the T-Galaxy name out in the ISU community.

“A lot of students, especially incoming freshmen, don’t realize who we are and where we are located,” DeSotel said. “We want to give the students an opportunity to see what we are all about.”

DeSotel said students should look for the T-Galaxy booth because the store is offering some interesting items.

“We will be giving away posters, face tattoos and some 25 percent off coupons that students can use by coming to the store,” DeSotel said.

She also said students will have an opportunity to hear about some of the special deals the store provides, such as their game day specials.

Mayhem Collectibles, another popular Campustown business, will also have a booth at WelcomeFest.

David Schutte, assistant manager of Mayhem Collectibles, said he chooses to participate in WelcomeFest because he wants students to be familiar with the store.

“Iowa State students make up the vast majority of our customers,” Schutte said, “So we want students to be aware of our activities and events and what we can provide for them.”

Schutte said students who visit the booth at WelcomeFest will be provided with coupon sheets, fliers about upcoming events and some free offers.

“We want to provide Iowa State students with activities they can go to throughout the year, and WelcomeFest is a way to inform them of what we offer,” Schutte said.