Ex officio student member to vie for voting seat on City Council

Ayrel Clark

Frustration over the Ames City Council’s ability to address issues important to students has led the current ex officio student member to decide to run for a voting seat in the Nov. 4 election.

After the June 10 Ames City Council meeting, where amendments to adapt occupancy limits were rejected, Nathan Johnston, ex officio student member to the council, was approached by one of the council members.

“A council member said they agreed with me that we did not address the issue at the center of it all,” said Johnston, junior in finance. “What are [council members] doing if [they’re] not actually solving the problem?”

“No matter where I ran, I wanted at least 5,000 student votes,” Johnston said. “I want to make a point that this is a large mass of people who are underrepresented.”

The last at-large election garnered a total of 4,900 votes, he said, including votes provided by ISU students.

If elected, Johnston would be the first ISU student to sit on the City Council, said Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco.

“[Although students have run for council before], to my knowledge there has never been a student elected,” Tedesco said. “[The Ames community] accepted them as candidates but did not feel they had a broad knowledge of what the community is about.”

Johnston said he wants to overcome “discriminatory” student labels.

“We’re old enough to vote and be punished under the same laws, but we’re not old enough to be heard,” he said.

Johnston said the main focus of his campaign will be the barrier between residents and students.

The council has done nothing to merge the two sides, Johnston said.

“The real reason a student needs to run is to make a point that we do care and we are motivated to make an impact,” he said.

Johnston said he wants to be elected because he will listen to people and help them with their problems, not just because he is a student.

“I don’t expect anyone to agree with me all the time,” he said. “But I am going to be honest and I want to be respected for that.”

Tedesco said Johnston’s appointment as the ex officio student member could help him in the upcoming election.

“[Johnston] has had a little more exposure in the last three months than most,” Tedesco said. “It certainly gives him an inside track on things already going on in the city.”

Johnston said he does not think the position really helps residents know him, which is fine.

“[The ex officio seat] is not a springboard to run,” Johnston said. “I don’t want it to be seen that way.”

Tedesco said students interested in running should know the position requires a commitment of about 15 to 20 hours per week.

As ex officio member, Johnston said he already spends roughly 10 to 15 hours working on council-related issues.

“I could add another five hours to my schedule,” he said.