Professor takes reigns as AIT interim director

Summer Mumford

In the 1970s, microcomputers and personal computers were first introduced, and James Davis worked mainly on developing software for Iowa State’s Office of Academic Information Technologies (AIT).

His job now will be quite different than before.

On July 1, Davis began his one-year term as interim director of AIT.

Davis, long-time ISU faculty member, has taken the position left by former interim director Dorothy Lewis, said Benjamin Allen, vice president for academic affairs and provost.

Davis earned all three of his degrees at Iowa State and has been a member of the faculty since 1984, he said. His position prior to interim director was as an associate professor of electrical and computer engineering.

He also has served as associate and interim chairs for the department and worked for AIT as a graduate student, Davis said.

When Lewis announced her resignation, 25—30 recommendations for her replacement were given to AIT.

“Jim was recommended to us several times,” Allen said.

He said he believes Davis’ experience, leadership and technical skills will serve him well in this position.

“It’s important to highlight the fact that he excels in the technical areas of the job,” Allen said. “He also has many years at Iowa State and understands and knows it.”

When he heard he had been recommended for the interim director position, Davis said he was thrilled.

“As soon as I heard about the position, I was very interested,” Davis said.

Davis’ prior experience working at AIT suited him well for the interim director position, said S.S. Venkata, professor and chair of electrical and computer engineering.

“He is experienced in information technology and has very good administrative skills,” Venkata said. “I am very confident that he will do an excellent job.”

Davis will be responsible for providing faculty and students with good information technology, and he will work with Administrative Technology Services and telecommunications office, Allen said.

“I will work with leaders in different areas to provide the kinds of services [people and departments] need,” Davis said.

Davis’ expertise is in information technology security, and AIT is particularly interested in improving security, said Dorothy Lewis, former interim directory of AIT.

Lewis said she believes Davis will add a nice voice to AIT.

“He’s excellently qualified,” Lewis said. “He’s well respected by staff, faculty and administration, and he will be very successful.”

Allen agrees Davis will do a good job.

“He has provided leadership before in a large, complex department,” Allen said.

“He is a good person with great people skills. I am excited and pleased [about his placement],” he said.

Davis said he is excited and ready to begin his position as interim director for AIT.

“AIT has been a cornerstone for computing on campus,” he said.