Final MU director candidate bursts with energy

Morgan Mcchurch

Tim Moore, candidate for the Memorial Union executive director, brought a developed vision for the future of the Memorial Union to an open forum Friday.

Moore said he is excited to help the Memorial Union transition from its independence of the university to the Department of Student Affairs. He said he believes there are great new opportunities on the horizon for the Memorial Union.

Moore told the forum of 25 people he enjoys change and wants to be at a Big 12 union because it means he has to be at the top of his game.

He said the Memorial Union is at a time and place where it is able to make an impact on student life.

“When you do great and dynamic things, you create history,” Moore said.

Moore said he believes only half of the educational experience is in the classroom. He said his goal is to create an environment where two students, who would never meet, otherwise become friends.

Moore said he wants the Memorial Union to be a chaotic, energetic and passionate place for every student.

“We want people to cross paths and get exposed to new experiences,” Moore said.

He said he wants the union to be very welcoming, not just a “campus rest-stop.” Moore said he plans to re-vamp the signage in the union to have every single sign welcome students and guests.

Moore said he believes the biggest challenge is to be creative and proactive. He doesn’t want to wait for something to be requested in the union, the staff must be willing to take the lead and anticipate the need.

The premiere policy which Moore said he adheres to is always to have his door open to students. He said he feels it is key to be accessible and visible in the union.

Recruitment and retention of minority students is important to Moore, and he said he feels the Memorial Union plays a key role.

Moore said he realizes culture and heritage are important for every student.

He said he feels culture shouldn’t just be showcased, but also allow for people to ask questions about it. Part of making the Memorial Union accessible for all students is to make disabled students feel welcome in the union as well.

“The Memorial Union is creating impressions right now,” Moore said. “The first six weeks of college is the toughest six weeks of a student’s life.”

Moore said he recognizes student fees will only carry the Memorial Union so far and the union’s services must stay affordable for students.

A major way to stay within budget constraints is to “manage expenses hard” and only spend the money where it is absolutely needed.

Dee Egdorf, president of the graduate and professional student senate, and vice president for the Memorial Union board of directors, said she attended two of the candidate forums.

She said the selection committee did a great job in the selection of three candidates who all are well qualified and have very unique experiences. Egdorf said the candidates she saw were straightforward and honest with their visions for the Memorial Union despite budget problems. She said the integrity and qualifications of all three candidates were quite impressive.

“Candidates that allow for the most student input are particularly important,” Egdorf said.