Stroke of genius

Morgan Mcchurch

ISU students have a unique opportunity to learn a 1,000-year-old art combining intricate detail and delicate strokes.

Renowned Chinese painter Li Aiguo began teaching a class on the Chinese painting style gong bi hua June 16.

Gong bi hua is a style using fine brush strokes on paper produced and brought from China and not available in the United States, said Heather Sauer, communication specialist for the Institute for Design Research and Outreach.

Part of the gong bi hua technique demands the artist never touch the paper or silk directly, except with a brush, so it requires a high degree of muscle coordination and skill to make the very fine, delicate traces or strokes that are a signature of this painting style, Sauer said.

Li was invited from China by Mark Engelbrecht, dean of the College of Design, to offer this workshop.

Engelbrecht could not be reached for comment.

Li’s works are included in collections at China’s National Art Museum and National Military Museum, said Sauer. He is a member of the Artist’s Society of China, director of the Gong Bi Painting Society of China, and vice chairman of the Council of Chinese Painting of Beijing, Sauer said.

Chiu Shui Chan, associate professor of architecture is Li’s translator.

Although the Daily was not allowed to observe any classes, Chan said Li began his class Monday by sketching a conceptual design for a painting on a plain piece of paper.

He then pinned the paper up on the wall and covered it with a piece of silk and carefully traced the lines to transfer the design from the paper to the silk.

“This is a unique opportunity for Iowans to learn about this special style of painting, which is an important part of China’s heritage,” Chan said.

Currently, there are five people enrolled in the class.

Li, through Chan’s translations, said he enjoys working with the ISU students.

“American students are open-minded, straightforward [and] hard workers,” Li said. “They have good motivation to take class and [are] willing to learn the Chinese art style.”

The university received inquiries from an engineer in Minneapolis who is interested in learning the skills and joining the class, Chan said.

He was also asked to speak with the Chinese Association of Iowa and to meet with representatives of The Art House, 2809 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines, Chan said.

Li has the equivalent of a master’s degree in Chinese painting from the Institute of Central Beauty-Art, Beijing, People’s Republic of China, Sauer said. He has taught at Capital Normal University in Beijing since 1987 and has published 13 books.

Li is a distinguished artist with top awards in a number of national competitions and exhibitions in China over the last 21 years, Sauer said.

Class is open for undergraduate and graduate credit, or for general public as a continuing education credit. There is a $200 materials fee. The class runs through June 27.