MU director candidate wants more visibility

Morgan Mcchurch

The first of three candidates for director of the Memorial Union spoke Friday about his plans to make the union more vibrant.

Richard Reynolds spoke to an audience of about 25, including the search committee for the new director, in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

Reynolds spoke about diversity, opportunities to increase revenue and bringing a good attitude to the mix of the Memorial Union.

Reynolds told the forum he wanted to come to Iowa State because he liked the reputation of the university and the values it presents.

A committee of 11 people involved in the Memorial Union is in charge of interviewing potential directors.

“All the candidates who are coming to the campus have unique assets that would be a benefit to Iowa State,” said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the dean of students office and a member of the search committee for the director of the Memorial Union.

Bestler-Wilcox must maintain a sense of impartiality because of her position, she said.

Reynolds said he has been involved in student union activities for 25 years at various universities. He has had experience in upgrading student unions at both University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), Texas A&M University and University of Wisconsin (Eau Claire).

Reynolds is currently executive director for university center, student leadership and cultural programs at UTSA. The student union at UTSA is supported by a student fee and $110,000 outside revenue.

The Memorial Union is a great structure but may not be managed as well as it could be, he said. Tradition is an important part of any university’s history, Reynolds said, but it may be hindering progress at the union.

“Sometimes tradition does not allow you to move forward,” Reynolds said.

The union is obscure and needs to have more visibility if it wants to serve as the front door of the university as the union’s mission statement claims, Reynolds said. Modifying the landscaping near the Four Seasons Fountain and providing signage during key events such as new student orientation and family weekend are ways he said he planned to increase visibility.

Reynolds said he plans to branch out of the union premises to attract people back to it. He said he wants to extend the hours of the student activities center, look for ways to make the union more vibrant, and increase the entertainment during the day and weekends.

Since the union is the student center, Reynolds said student organizations should have first priority for room reservations.

“Students pay for the building, students should have first priority in using the spaces,” Reynolds said.

Reynolds said he would also like to see collaborative activities between the student activities center and all-campus programming.

The planned renovations to the Memorial Union are somewhat satisfactory to Reynolds, but he said he wants better lighting. Reynolds also wants to make the information desk a full-service desk rather than one that refers students to other parts of campus.

Reynolds said there are great possibilities for generating revenue for the Memorial Union in the graphic and marketing departments. He also said he feels it is necessary to engage community groups like The Lions Club, Kiwanis and Rotary Club.

He said he also feels there are more opportunities for service learning and internships at the Memorial Union.

Reynolds said he would work with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender student services office and disability student services, both part of the dean of students office.

He said he feels hidden disabilities are the toughest to accommodate and manage in the context of the union.

“The Memorial Union provides great challenges,” Reynolds said. “On the other hand it also provides great opportunities.”