Student named to City Council

Shauna Stephenson

Ames City Council’s newest and only non-voting member said he has high hopes for connecting students with their community.

Nathan Johnston, junior in pre-business, attended his first meeting as ex-officio on the Ames City Council May 13.

The ex-officio position, originally held by GSB President Mike Banasiak, was created to be a link between ISU students and the council.

The position’s main function is to advise the council on issues that pertain to students.

The council does not, however, have a student vote, which is one thing Johnston hopes to change.

A student has not run for a city council seat since 1986.

“There is nothing that forbids anyone that is 18 years of age from running for the city council,” Mayor Ted Tedesco said.

Tedesco said the main problem is the time commitment required for being a council member.

City Council member Judie Hoffman said part of the reason there has not been a student on the city council is because most students are not registered to vote in Ames.

“As long as that’s the case, they’ll have difficulty electing [a student] to the council,” Hoffman said.

Johnston is currently working on getting another student involved enough to run for the position, so he doesn’t jeopardize his ex-officio position.

“I have a seat,” he said. “I don’t want to create any conflict.”

GSB president Mike Banasiak said this is a good time to get students involved with the council.

“We’re in a very proactive period,” Banasiak said.

Despite not having a vote, Johnston said he feels he can make an important contribution on issues that affect students.

Debates on over-occupancy and the couch ordinance are currently being discussed within the council and will require his input.

“I’d like to get somewhere and get something done. I don’t like to sit in one place and tread water,” Johnston said. “You have to set a goal and then set two more,” he said.

The biggest goal Johnston has is being able to represent the entire student body effectively.

“It’s going to involve a lot of listening and a little compromise. We’re looking for the best fit for all groups involved,” Johnston said.

Johnston said previously, the residents of Ames felt like they could not approach students on issues that affected the students and the community.

“The students weren’t being represented by anyone,” he said. “Students felt like they were being poked at from every direction.” He said the ex-officio position helps to bridge that gap.