Students have options when seeking on-campus counseling for war-related stress

Kate Lewellen

Editor’s Note: Part of an ongoing series about how Iowa State has been impacted by the conflict in Iraq.

Since the conflict in Iraq began, there has been an increase in traffic at the Student Counseling Center, though not all students are specifically seeking help for war-related anxiety.

But students struggling with stress related to the conflict in Iraq and its aftermath can seek on-campus therapy and counseling at minimal cost at both the ISU Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic and the Student Counseling Center, said Ronald Werner-Wilson, assistant professor of human development and family studies.

“Almost every student at Iowa State probably has a connection to someone overseas, and it is hard not to think about the uncertainty of it all,” he said. “The war may contribute to stress for students or serve as a distraction,” he said.

Werner-Wilson said while talking to friends can be helpful, sometimes professional help is needed as well. “Having people to talk to is always a good thing,” he said.

There is a flat $5 fee for each session at the Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic, Werner-Wilson said. Formerly, the fee for each session was based on family income.

Werner-Wilson encourages students to talk with others about stress, turn off the war coverage on television if they are bothered by it and to stay within their normal routine.

“If you haven’t been going to class, get back to it,” he said. “Keep your mind active. We are here to study and learn.”

He said some students may find journaling a helpful way to alleviate stress.

As the conflict in Iraq comes to a close, Werner-Wilson suggests students reach out to each other.

“If you notice that someone is stressed, sincerely ask them how they are doing. It can make a world of difference,” he said.

The ISU Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic works closely with the Student Counseling Center to provide services to students. The Student Counseling Center is free to ISU students for a limited number of sessions.

Suzanne Zilber, psychologist for Student Counseling Services, said the center provides tips to students who are suffering from war-related anxiety, including sleeping regular hours, waking at a set time each day and staying active during the day.

Zilber also suggests a balanced diet and moderate exercise. Zilber said it is important to recognize what can and cannot be controlled.

“We may not have much control over the war activities, but we can control many things in our daily lives,” Zilber said.

Some ways Zilber suggests to gain control are creating a schedule of study and recreation, expressing yourself creatively, and escaping in healthy ways, such as video games, movies or hikes.

“Be sure to care for yourself by keeping balance in your life,” Zilber said.