‘Rivers of Life’ symposium features politics of water development lecture

Hannah Fletcher

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Agriculture’s first International Symposium to address global water issues was greeted with support from faculty, staff and students.

Dave Acker, assistant dean of global agriculture programs said the connection made by those in attendance was most important.

The symposium, “Rivers of Life: Water, People and Global Development”, began with a noon panel of three faculty members. “The presentations were really very exciting,” said Michael Whiteford, associate dean in the LAS college and event sponsor. “It got everyone sort of energized for the following events.”

Gene Takle, professor of agronomy and geological and atmospheric sciences, addressed water in relation to climate change, Whiteford said.

Focusing on the human right to development of water, Robert Mazur, associate professor of sociology, addressed the political tool of water and human development.

Steffen Schmidt, university professor of political science, concluded the panel with a presentation on the past and present wars that have been fought over water.

A research seminar, “Water, Fire and Community-Based Natural Resource Management in the Chimalapas” was presented by Heidi Asbjornsen, assistant professor of natural resource ecology and management. She spoke to approximately 40 people in 302 Catt Hall at 4 p.m., Whiteford said.

The symposium concluded with the public lecture, “Commons and Commodity: Differing Approaches to a Global Water Crisis” by Stephen Gasteyer, an ISU alumnus who is now the director of community programs for Rural Community Assistance Program in Washington D.C.

“[The lecture] was an eye-opener for me,” Acker said. “This looked at the options for solving one of the most serious problems in the world.”

Gasteyer talked about the populations of people without access to clean water and options for the future of water management and transfer.

“I don’t oppose privatization [of water commodities] in all forms, but it is not going to succeed in delivering water to the people in the long run,” Gasteyer said.

With the inaugural symposium success, the LAS College and College of Agriculture have already begun planning for next year’s symposium.

There has been discussion on focusing on global issues surrounding food or health, Acker said.

Acker said, “Each year, we plan to repeat the symposium and it will always be on a global issue of interest.