U-bills will no longer arrive in paper form

Josh Novak

The trend of accessing information via AccessPlus that began with grade reports, class registration and then financial aid information will soon encompass U-bills.

After July 31, students and faculty will no longer receive a U-bill through the mail. Instead, bills will be placed on AccessPlus, beginning with the first payment for next fall, said ISU Treasurer Joan Thompson.

She said about 30 percent of the students have already opted for the all-electronic billing, which was first made available last fall.

“We’re the university of science and technology, so it only makes sense to use that technology,” Thompson said.

Efficiency is the main objective of using electronic billing, she said.

“We’re not the first university to do this, and it has proven to be successful elsewhere,” Thompson said.

She said all-electronic billing was first introduced a couple years ago at The Ohio State University at Columbus.

The switch will also save the university money, Thompson said.

“We are projecting a $100,000 savings [annually], and that is probably being conservative,” she said.

Thompson said each time a person’s bill is updated, an e-mail will be sent to their university e-mail address.

“I would suggest students get an Iowa State e-mail address before [summer] break,” she said.

Mike Bowman, assistant director for customer services with the Academic Information Technologies, said the number of students without an ISU e-mail account is a small, and those without one can register at https://asw.iastate.edu.

If students still do not have a university e-mail address by next fall or do not regularly check their e-mail, Thompson said it is still their responsibility to check AccessPlus for billing updates.

Students who wish to continue having a bill sent home to their parents may continue paying the $5 per semester fee, Thompson said.

“Currently, we don’t have a way for parents to access AccessPlus,” she said.

Students, faculty and staff will also have the option of paying online, Thompson said.

“They can continue to pay by check or have funds electronically transferred from their checking account to us,” she said.

Brian Huebner, junior in liberal studies, said he supports the change to all-electronic billing.

“I think it’s great. It will save both paper and money,” he said.

Mary Boyce, sophomore in psychology, said she also supports the change. However, she said she believes there should be a period when students receive a bill both through AccessPlus and through the mail.

“I think with the sudden transition, some students may forget to check AccessPlus and pay [their U-bill],” Boyce said.

Thompson said her office is doing everything it can to notify students.

“We’ve sent out e-mails and posted an announcement on AccessPlus,” she said.

“We’re trying to notify everybody.”

Huebner said he believes it may take time for students to make the transition to electronic billing, but that “it’ll become habit after a while.”

Thompson said she foresees no major problems with the switch.

“My goal is to continue to provide excellent services in a more efficient way,” she said.

AccessPlus can be reached at https://accessplus.iastate.edu.