‘Shall We Dance’ concert offers symphonic learning experience

Jennifer Swan

Children from across Iowa will have the chance to interact on a one-on-one basis with orchestra music at Stephens Auditorium Wednesday.

The ISU Symphony Orchestra will be performing “Shall We Dance: Music to Move You,” a family concert sponsored by the Ames International Orchestra Festival Association.

Mark Laycock, director of orchestral activities and assistant professor of music, says the concert is designed to acquaint young students with orchestral music, and gimmicks, novelties and special effects are not needed to try to connect with the audience.

“It’s designed to be fun and educational,” he says. “The show is designed to teach kids about musical pieces and composers.”

“Shall We Dance” is an annual event created specifically for children. School groups from across Iowa will be in attendance.

“In many cases, this is the student’s first exposure to orchestral music,” Laycock says. “I hope they realize that it can be fun and can appeal to them.”

The concert will consist of music that is very accessible to young kids since the songs aren’t very long, says Sara Compton, outreach coordinator for the Iowa State Center.

The music will include folk dances, as well as pieces by famous composers such as Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky.

“You may not recognize the titles if you’re not a music major, but you’ll say, ‘I know that! I’ve heard that before,'” Compton says. “This [event] will share with students the different genres of music, different composers and different styles.”

The concert will highlight Sarit Luban, an Ames Middle School student, as a violin soloist. Luban has performed as a soloist for the Central Iowa Symphony and has been a member of several youth orchestras.

“Featuring a young artist is neat for a youth concert because it’s neat for kids to see someone their age doing something good,” Compton says. “Hopefully it will be an inspiration.”

Following the performance will be a “petting zoo,” which will allow the audience to get a closer look at orchestral instruments.

Esprit de Corps, the music department learning community, is in charge of the zoo. About 15 students will bring their instruments for an informal demonstration.

“Kids can see and touch the instruments. They can hear it play high and low, play soft and loud,” Compton says. “They will get to hear it on an individual basis.”

The combination of the show and the instrument demonstration is designed to be a learning experience for the students, Laycock says. They will learn concert etiquette as well as how to be a good listener.

“What we are doing is trying to break down barriers and eliminate some stereotypes,” he says. “Concert music in itself can be very appealing.”

What: “Shall We Dance”

Where: Stephens Auditorium

When: 2 p.m. Wednesday

Cost: $3