Eight students receive Outstanding Seniors award for involvement

Amy Janssen

Due to their hard work and involvement in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, eight students were selected as the recipients of the Outstanding Seniors award.

The winners were announced Monday after three selected members of the FCS council reviewed all applications and made their decisions.

“We like to send graduating seniors out with a ‘thank you’ for their involvement,” said Sarah Nelson, treasurer of the FCS council. “It’s a reward of appreciation for what they’ve done; not only for themselves, but what they’ve brought back to the community and college.”

This year’s recipients are Nathan Mueggenberg, Lisa Whelchel, Amanda Smallridge, Jennifer Kuesar, Christina Seward, Ean-Chee Ng, Ching-Ching Fong and Karen Bruening.

Several of those selected said they were excited and proud of being named.

“Surprised was my first reaction. It’s a tremendous honor,” said Mueggenberg, senior in child, adult and family services.

The award given by the FCS council is rewarded each year to a maximum of 10 senior students in the college who either will graduate this spring or next fall, Nelson said.

“It was one of those things I read about and thought about applying, but never did,” Mueggenberg said. “Then a professor recommended that I apply, wrote me a recommendation and that was that.”

Whelchel, senior in child, adult and family services, said she applied for the award since it was well publicized and an award given by her peers.

“It’s a nice way to be recognized since it’s an award given to the students from the students,” she said.

Nelson said the criteria the council used to decide who would win the Outstanding Seniors award was the students’ community involvement, college involvement, university level involvement, academic achievement and any other relevant information.

“We generally like to say everyone must qualify for all the [criteria], with some involvement in all areas,” she said.

One of the reasons Nelson said this award is given each year to seniors is the way the award can help the college.

“If students are striving to achieve the award, we are going to see that [reflected] in the school,” she said. “It’s an encouragement to get students involved with the school.”

The award can also help individual students by allowing those selected to take a deep breath when they’ve been recognized and appreciated, Nelson said.

Mueggenberg said he has not thought about how the award can help in the future, but believes it could say something about him to others.

“It’ll demonstrate to future employers that I have accomplished something and people will recognize that,” he said.

Winners of the Outstanding Seniors award will receive a certificate and engraved plaque at the college’s graduation ceremony in May, Nelson said.