Campus condom availability not issue in wake of IRHA bill

Amber Long

New York lawmakers introduced a bill last month that would require all hotels to have condoms available at the registration desk for guests.

Condoms are available in most convenience stores in the United States and are free from some health care providers in an effort to stop the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. Similarly, the Inter-Residence Hall Association passed a bill last spring to make condoms accessible to students in C-Stores and vending machines in the residence halls.

Rep. Jane Greimann, D-Ames, a former high school health teacher, said passing legislation is not the way to teach sexual responsibility. She said education should take priority over legislation.

“I believe in focusing on stronger school health programs before legislative moves,” Greimann said. She said she did not see a need for a bill like the one in New York to be introduced in Iowa.

“Sexual responsibility is a personal choice and it must be taught early on in the home, not enforced by the government,” Greimann said.

Sen. Herman Quirmbach, D-Ames, declined to comment on the issue.

Condoms and information related to condom use and STDs are available free of charge at various locations in Ames and on the ISU campus, such as the Thielen Student Health Center, at the corner of Sheldon and Union drives; Planned Parenthood, 2530 Chamberlain St.; and Birthright, Inc., 108 Hayward Ave.

Condom use has been shown to directly decrease the rate of STDs and unintended pregnancies, said Brian Dunn, program coordinator at the Thielen Student Health Center. “Having condoms easily available will hopefully increase condom use and in turn decrease STDs and unintended pregnancies,” he said.

According to the World Health Organization, “111 million new STDs occur worldwide every year in people under 25 years of age.”

STD prevention and awareness efforts along with increased condom availability have been the focus of health educators across the country.

Condoms are available for students, but many people may not be aware of how they can obtain them. They may also face the issue of embarrassment, Dunn said.

“Condoms should be placed in an area where there are other items that can be purchased to eliminate the condom aisle, which can be embarrassing,” he said. “Stores could put condoms in point of purchase places such as by the gum and candy at the check-out lane.”

That way people would see and buy condoms before they need them, he said.

Keith Twombley, president of the Inter-Residence Hall Association, said despite initial resistance to providing condoms in the residence halls, its availability provides a necessary service to students.

“The availability of condoms in the residence halls has been a positive addition to the C-Stores,” he said.

Twombley said providing condoms in the residence halls was considered promoting sex by some, but he feels it promotes safe sex.

Condoms are also available next to chips and candy in vending machines, which allows students access to condoms after C-Store hours, Twombley said. Residence hall assistants are also available to answer questions and provide condoms to their floor members, he said.

Students are aware of safe-sex messages and condom availability in the residence halls, Twombley said. “There have been instances where I have heard students asking where they can get condoms,” he said. “Their friends always tell them where to go. Students know they are available.”

Greimann said she is a strong supporter of a thorough and inclusive sex education program that includes promoting the use of condoms in public schools.

“Responsible sexuality begins with parents who model it in their homes. It continues with sound education in our schools,” she said.