COLUMN: It is never too late to find faith, friends

Leslie Heuer

It wasn’t too late. Everyone had been counting down the days until Spring Break. Not me. In fact, the irony was that I had not been looking forward to five days of no classes. I hadn’t made plans because extra money is not exactly in my budget right now and “home” is just a half an hour away.

On the Thursday before break, I was approached by a member of a campus group and asked to take a survey about some spiritual matters. I was up for it. I had nothing else to do while I was waiting for the bus. Then our conversation wandered to Spring Break plans. This individual was going to Chicago with her group. Then we discovered we had a mutual friend who was in the group.

This particular friend called me a few hours later and told me about her Spring Break plans to go to Chicago with the same group. I was watching Oprah Winfrey (for the second time this semester) and the episode focused on how her charity network, Angel Tree, is benefiting inner-city kids and improving inner-city schools in Chicago. I shared this with my friend. I told her I wanted to do something for inner-city kids. Suddenly Chicago was sounding like fun. She made no promises, but hinted that there might be a way I could tag along.

Three days before they were scheduled to leave, the Campus Crusade for Christ coordinators told me money and space were available for one more person. It wasn’t too late.

I spent 16 hours riding in a white van with five people I had never met to and from Chicago. I spent five days eating, sleeping, worshiping and working with other college students from Oklahoma, North Texas, Nebraska and Arkansas that I had never met. Yes, it was weird, stressful and uncomfortable to share three showers, two sinks and sleeping space with 60 other females I’d never met. But that was one of the objectives of this trip. To get out of our comfort zones. And we did have one thing in common: We were all there to help; we all wanted to make a difference.

It is called Urban Immersion. Campus Crusade for Christ members from campuses all over the nation are invited to this particular ministry to share the Gospel in the inner city.

A third-grader in counseling for anger management who could barely read at a first-grade level, a mom with nine kids and another on the way who depends on a homeless shelter for her supper, and the beggar who was grateful for the fish sandwich my partner bought him at McDonald’s are only a few of the things I saw. Poverty and injustice. Racial discrimination and segregation. Streets littered with garbage and other filth.

We hit the streets, one hand guarding our lunch money and the other on a Bible, looking for the destitute. The ethnic community I chose to immerse myself in was Hispanic. Obviously, the language barrier was an issue. The point was to roll up our sleeves and get dirty.

Then there were the down times when the ISU group and I just got to hang around and get to know each other. That is when my second transformation began. These Campus Crusade for Christ folks are amazing. They aren’t Bible beaters who want to scream “You’re going to hell” in your face. They won’t tell you your beliefs are wrong, but they will tell you about the Truth.

They are filled with the love of Jesus and are therefore compelled to share that love with others. They shared it with me when I needed it most. I’m no stranger to spiritual issues, church or God. It’s always been a part of my life — but up until now, only a part. However, now I recognize the need and the desire to start living what I believe every day.

I have never experienced such unconditional acceptance from people who didn’t know me. I have never felt so compelled to bring my own spiritual questions to the table than within this group. I have never felt so wrapped in love as I did with my newfound brothers and sisters.

This is a group of people where you can become vulnerable, open and raw during your own search for the Truth because ridicule, exclusion and judgment have no place here. And this love of Christ that we want to share includes everyone of every nation, of every color and of every background.

Campus Crusade for Christ meets Thursday evenings at 9 p.m. in the Curtiss Hall auditorium. Absolutely anyone is welcome. Bring your questions. Bring your arguments. Bring your hate. You will be given unconditional love. You’ll find someone or will be referred to someone willing to debate and challenge you. If you’re hurting, confused and need encouragement, a friend or a shoulder to cry on, I can’t think of a more supportive, safe group of people than the young men and women of Campus Crusade for Christ.

It’s not too late.