Proactive approach needed for campus awareness

Holly Deimerly

In recent months, the ISU campus has seen several acts of vandalism directed toward the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered communities. The investigation continues in search of the vandal or vandals, and LGBT leaders continue their quest for awareness and understanding on campus.

The words “Die Fag Die” and “Dean of Fags” were painted on the outside walls of the Durham Center and the Student Services Building Nov. 18. “ISU Fag Rag” was spray painted on a wall near Hamilton Hall on March 6.

Education, training and official responses from administration are the keys to halting this type of vandalism on campus, according to LGBTA Alliance leaders and other members of the LGBT communities.

Todd Herriott, LGBTA Alliance adviser, has several suggestions for administration and community members to consider.

“There needs to be increased education for faculty, staff and students on campus,” he said. “We’re severely lacking in training and education regarding sensitivity to LGBT issues.”

Included in Herriott’s suggestions for increased education were the need for faculty and staff to confront homophobic or sexist language in classrooms, increased awareness around the Safe Zone project, the introduction of an LGBT studies program and more staff members to handle LGBT issues.

“Iowa State offers two classes with LGBT themes, but that’s it,” he said. “As for staffing, the LGBT Student Services office is run entirely by a grad student who only works 20 hours per week. It would be worthwhile, cost-effective and education-effective to hire more staff.”

Jeremy Hayes, LGBT Student Services coordinator, said his work focuses on providing general support for students and coordinating LGBT programs. Those programs include the Safe Zone project, the Small Victories Celebration, Lavender Graduation and the Speaker’s Bureau program.

“I do a lot of work here, but there’s so much I’d like to do that I don’t have the time or money for,” he said.

Hayes said he would like to see more staff added to create awareness of LGBT issues on campus.

“I’m supposed to be able to reach all of the students on this campus with a $3,000 dollar budget and 20 hours [a week],” he said. “It’s just not feasible.”

Pete Englin, Dean of Students, said he sees the need for a full-time position to work with LGBT issues, but is concerned about the university’s budget.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy had the same concern with hiring new individuals and starting new programs.

“Some of the issues would require the investment of new funds to support, which would be very problematic right now after all of the budget cuts we have taken and the new ones that appear to be developing through this current legislative session,” Geoffroy said in an e-mail.

Herriott also suggested the need for increased training for ISU Police officials regarding sensitivity.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said all of his staff goes through basic sensitivity training.

“We have received positive feedback about the sensitivity of our officers,” he said. “If there is a group who feels that we aren’t sensitive or do not understand their issues, I encourage their feedback and will do all that I can to make improvements.”

Julia McGinley, LGBTA Alliance fundraising coordinator and president-elect, said administration support is also a key in stopping vandalism and other incidents.

“We are thankful for the quick responses of the administration in recent events. That is a great start,” she said. “We need administration to come up with tangible, action-based goals with the input from students.”