University to close offices, reduce hours for others over spring break

Jennifer Martin

University offices not vital to campus services will be closed over spring break in an effort to save money and energy.

Dave Miller, utilities director for Facilities Planning and Management, said there aren’t any buildings on campus that will be completely shut down over spring break.

Energy and money will be saved in electricity and heating costs, he said.

“Mother Nature also plays a key role in savings,” Miller said.

The university is expected to save $3,000 to $4,000 over the course of spring break, Miller said. During winter break the university saves $6,000 to $8,000 because it is colder and more energy is used to heat buildings than what is used over spring break.

Shutting down office computers, lights and other equipment is one way faculty and staff can help save energy and money, Miller said.

“That’s how they can help us best,” he said.

Johnny Pickett, associate vice president for Business and Finance, said it is up to those in each individual office to decide if the office will close during break.

“It’s a decentralized decision,” she said.

The general policy is that offices are allowed to close if they can do so without disrupting the essential functions of the university and if the staff want to take leave, Pickett said.

“There are so few students and faculty around [during spring break] that the campus activity level is pretty low,” she said.

Pickett said staff are able to take their earned vacation leave or, if they don’t have enough earned leave, they can take leave without pay.

Many offices are going to remain open but only for part of the day, Pickett said.

Other offices may run on summer hours (which are from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) or from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Miller said the university has an energy savings plan in effect for the entire year.

An energy strategy is given to each building on campus describing the hours the building is in operation, Miller said.

Temperature control is also another way energy and costs are cut.

October through March, room temperature is set at 68 degrees and from April through September, room temperature is set at 78 degrees.

“The key is the energy plan for each building and temperature control,” Miller said.

There are certain buildings on campus that need to be in operation longer than 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Miller said.

Buildings that house animals and run longer hours can file an exemption form with facilities, planning and management.

The energy savings plan is in its second year, Miller said. Last year the university saved $1.5 million and as of the end of February 2003, a little under $1.1 million had been saved.

Miller said this year’s saving will easily match what was saved last year.

“The good news is that it’s money that can be used in other areas of the university,” he said.

“We pay for energy and have nothing to show for it, but [the savings] are a good use of resources and money.”