Liberal Studies degree works for all students

Maggie Halferty

Flexibility is the key for nontraditional students wanting to tailor their educational goals to meet the varying aspects of their often busy lives.

The Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree program allows adults to take classes at a variety of locations in the Ames and Des Moines area and attend evening classes when available. It is open to juniors or seniors who have 62 credits and a 2.0 grade point average.

“The liberal studies degree is geared for nontraditional students, but can be good for traditional students,” said Dan Rice, academic adviser for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “Especially if they changed majors or didn’t get into a professional program and have a lot of credits to use.”

Rice said students do not have to declare a major in the liberal studies program. He said the program requires three areas of emphasis and is comparable to having three very broad minors.

“If students come to us early they can create a very viable program,” he said.

About 30 percent of the students who graduate with a bachelor’s of liberal studies degree go on to graduate school, Rice said.

“It can be great preparation for pre-law, pre-med or other graduate programs,” he said. “It depends on the program.”

Kathleen Timmons, coordinator for the bachelor of liberal studies program, said University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa work with Iowa State to provide students with as many options as possible. She said a committee made up of people from the Regent universities make decisions regarding the direction of the program.

“We try to remain consistent with the fundamentals as far as the number of credits is concerned,” Timmons said. “The question of whether institutional policy takes precedent over the needs of the program is one we have to address periodically.”

The experience nontraditional students bring with them to campus goes a long way, Rice said.

“Nontraditional students come to me saying they need a degree,” he said. “At times it is to further their careers — to get into management.”