International students can perfect job-search techniques at career workshop

Kim Rogers

International students will have the opportunity to learn about changes in visa and immigration issues surrounding U.S. employment at an informational workshop Wednesday.

The workshop will also focus on job-search strategies, r‚sum‚ writing and interview skills. It was organized by Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services, in conjunction with International Education Services. It will run from 2 to 5 p.m. Wednesday in rooms 232, 268 and 294 of Carver Hall.

Kaori Burkart, workshop coordinator and graduate student in leadership and policy studies, said she sees the career planning workshop as an opportunity for international students to increase their knowledge of the job-search process in the United States, which may be different from their home countries.

“I hear from a lot of international students that they feel hopeless and disappointed because no companies want to receive their r‚sum‚s,” Burkart said. “This workshop will boost their confidence and give them a chance to learn what they need to do.”

A panel of former ISU international students now employed in the United States, as well as a representative from the Principal Financial Group in Des Moines, will discuss job searching. Immigration lawyers will discuss work visas and green cards.

Three educational advisers from International Education Services will discuss the process involved for practical training employment, a restricted work visa given to international students to work temporarily in the U.S. during and after graduation.

Due to changes in immigration law, the regulations for practical training have changed, Burkart said. “The grace period for Optional Practical Training [the one-year work visa given after completion of a higher degree] has disappeared,” said Burkart.

Ali Ijaz, sophomore in economics, said he was planning to attend the workshop to learn as much as he could about employment in the United States.

“It’s very important right now because the job market, even for U.S. nationals, is bad. It will obviously be even harder for international students to find a job,” Ijaz said. He said he thinks the workshop will be a good place to look for guidance on finding a job in the United States, as well as information about changes in immigration laws.

“Although the workshop cannot guarantee international students a job, it will give them the skills needed in case something does come up,” Burkart said.

For more information call 294-2542.