Undiscovered ‘stars’ sought for ISU version of ‘American Idol’

Ryan Curell

Infamous “American Idol” judge Simon Cowell won’t be there, but ISU students will get their chance to become a star during this year’s Veishea celebration.

The Student Union Board will host a talent show, “Cyclone Idol,” in which students will strut their stuff in hopes of attaining the attractive prizes up for grabs.

SUB organizer Talitha Fox says the idea for the local talent production was spawned from the popularity of the Fox reality show.

“I hope this is an idea that really takes off for a couple of years,” says Fox, junior in animal ecology. “I encourage anyone who thinks or knows they have talent to participate.”

SUB adviser Shuichiro Tosaka expects a large turnout with this event, and believes Cyclone Idol will appeal to students who are fans of the talent search series.

“I want this event to be big part of Veishea because in past few years, Veishea has struggled with attendance,” says Tosaka, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies. “I am hoping that students will stick around to see this event.”

The SUB looked for a wide array of judges for “Cyclone Idol,” Tosaka says. The search included theatre and music department professors, ISU faculty and staff and Ames citizens.

Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator at the Dean of Students office; Lisa Kratz, assistant director of programming services; Teresa Branch, associate vice president of student affairs; and Thomas Hill, vice president of student affairs, were selected to judge “Cyclone Idol” performers.

But don’t expect the same foul-tongued responses you’d expect to hear from Simon Cowell come out of Hill’s mouth.

“I’ve never seen the show, but I’ve heard of [Cowell],” Hill says. “I’d never say anything negative about a student like that guy does.”

Tosaka says Ames record label Bi-Fi Records has agreed to provide eight hours of recording time and a demo for the winner of “Cyclone Idol.” Patrick Fleming, owner of Bi-Fi Records, will also be among the panel of judges.

The first-place winner will receive a $400 cash prize in addition to the Bi-Fi Records package; the second-place winner will receive a $100 cash prize and the third-place winner will receive $50.

Auditions for Cyclone Idol will be held March 6 and March 27 at the M-Shop, and audition times will be announced later. The final round will held April 10 as part of Veishea events.