Symphony brings upbeat sound of classical music to central Iowa Sunday

Celeste Smith

Two local music groups are hoping the upbeat music featured in their upcoming concert will bring a bit of joy to the hearts and minds of their audience.

The Central Iowa Symphony, along with the Ames Chamber Artists, will bring the exuberant sounds of classical music to the Ames City Auditorium Sunday.

“This is music of a celebratory nature,” says Mark Laycock, symphony conductor and ISU orchestra director. “Festive, positive, celebratory music — it’s all upbeat.”

Laycock says the centerpiece of the program is Poulenc’s “Gloria,” which will feature the voices of local singing group Ames Chamber Artists. The featured soprano soloist will be Melodie Duple, director of vocal music at Gilbert High School.

“This is probably one of [Poulenc’s] greatest works. It is very colorful and has lots of humor in the piece, lots of different moods and surprises,” Laycock says.

“That’s going to be the highlight of the concert — the Chamber Artists,” says Laura Miller, symphony publicist and board member.

In addition to “Gloria,” four other pieces will be showcased. “Festive Overture” by Dmitri Shostakovich will start out the afternoon. Beethoven’s Wellington’s “Victory,” Jean Sibelius’ “Lemminkainen’s Return” and Emmanuel Chabrier’s “Fete Polonaise” will also be performed.

“This is music that is very accessible and upbeat — lots of brass, lots of exultant moments,” Laycock says. “If you could put together a greatest hits program, this would be pretty close to it.”

In addition to the concert, Laycock will host a chat session titled “Concert Conversations” 45 minutes prior to the event.

“It’s just an informal discussion of the afternoon’s program, a chance for people to ask questions,” Laycock says. “If there’s something about classical music that you’ve always wondered about, this is a great opportunity to sit down in a nonthreatening situation and find out the inside scoop.”

This is the 65-member Central Iowa Symphony’s 16th season. The group plays five concerts from December to May, as well as a few other concerts during the summer.

“We’re kind of a hidden gem in Ames,” Miller says. “We have a lot of musical people around Ames with the faculty and university. We have so much talent here.”

Laycock has been the symphony’s conductor for four seasons. He has also had experience working with middle and high school students, a Las Vegas community orchestra and the ISU orchestra.

“The toughest part of my job is selecting the repertoire for the season,” Laycock says. “I am always looking for ways to involve other members of the community, be they individuals or ensembles, such as the choir.”

Who: Central Iowa Symphony featuring the Ames Chamber Artists

Where: Ames City Auditorium, 515 Clark Ave.

When: 3 p.m. Sunday

Cost: $5 students, $12 public