Women’s Week activities include international poetry, short story readings

Jennifer Swan

The Pioneer Room will come alive Friday afternoon with the reading of old and new poems celebrating international women.

“International Poetry and Short Stories” is designed to celebrate the achievements of women through poetry. The event is a part of Iowa State’s annual International Women’s Week.

Students, staff and faculty are invited to join in the readings, says Alicia Jauer, International Women’s Week committee chairwoman. The readings are sponsored by the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

“There is a huge difference between listening to a poem and reading it yourself,” says Penny Rice, Sloss Center director. “It evokes a lot more emotion and makes a stronger connection globally.”

Rice says narrowing down poetry about women to use at the program wasn’t difficult.

“There isn’t a topic that doesn’t surround women,” Rice says. “Anything about life impacts women’s lives.”

“Last year we worked with women’s programs and international students to bring the celebration together,” adds Peggy Talbert, Carrie Chapman Catt Women’s Center program assistant.

“It was the suggestion of a student to do a poetry reading.”

Talbert, who was new to poetry reading last year, will read a piece Friday.

“I don’t exactly know what yet,” she says.

“It will be a poem by a woman that has some kind of international or ethnic heritage theme,” she says.

Last year, a diverse list of poetry was included in the event — some even in different languages, Talbert says.

“There were quite a few people from quite a few countries reading poems in quite a few different languages,” she says.

“Students and faculty from all different majors came — from political science to religious studies to foreign language — from all over campus.”

Many international students, both male and female, participated last year.

“They brought their own pieces from their country, which is exactly what we like,” Rice says.

Although this is a celebration of women and international issues, no reader will be turned away.

“We actually ran out of time [last year] since there were so many people participating,” she says.