City officials prepare new budget

Scott Rank

Adding a mosaic to the Ames skate park, expanding free Cy-Ride bus service to all Ames students and increasing funding to human service agencies were all on the Ames City Council’s to-do list as they prepared the next city budget.

The council discussed these issues and held its fiscal year 2003-04 budget wrap-up Tuesday night.

The Ames Public Art Commission sought $25,000 from the city for its proposed city projects at the meeting. Nancy Polster, the Public Art Commission chairwoman, asserted the need for these funds to create a mosaic in the Ames Skate Park.

“We plan to have Concetta Morales, a Des Moines artist whose specialty is mosaic wall design, commissioned for this project. She will work with Ames’ youth on the design and installation,” Polster said. “The skate park has been heavily used in the past year and we’d like to have a public piece of art that would give it some identity,” she said.

Another major project is Neighborhood Sculptures, which provides neighborhoods the opportunity to place small sculptures in their area.

The city plans to allocate more money to human service agencies. This increase was recommended by ASSET, a funding team which coordinates planning and funding for the City of Ames, Story County United Way, the Story County Department of Human Services and Iowa State’s Government of the Student Body.

ASSET recommended funding increases for Youth and Shelter Services, the Center for Addictions Recovery and the Red Cross.

“We recommended that more money be allotted to these agencies because there’s an increased need for these services,” said Rob Wiese, ASSET member.

The council also considered giving $2,500 to Special Olympics Iowa, which is held yearly in Ames in May.

“Each year, we bring in 3,000 Special Olympics athletes to Ames for the three-day State Summer Games,” said Rich Fellingham, president of Special Olympics Inc. “The total cost is about $180,000 and we respectfully request an allocation of $2,500 for the event.”

The Ames Economic Development Commission also requested a $10,000 increase in its marketing budget, from $40,000 to $50,000. The commission’s main goals are to makes Ames a leader in the bioeconomy by supporting pharmaceutical industries and expanding free Cy-Ride bus service to include not only ISU students, but K-12 students as well.

“Expanding Cy-Ride service to all students would benefit lots of people, especially single-parent families,” said Bob Bourne, director of transportation. “There are between 200 and 250 [K-12] students who ride Cy-Ride every day.”

The final public hearing on next year’s budget will be March 4.