First lady asks students to find jobs in Iowa after graduation

Emily Oliver

The first lady of Iowa, Christie Vilsack, visited a crowd of 45 Ames High School students to encourage them to stay in Iowa after graduation.

Vilsack said she wanted to speak to the younger high school students who might not have set plans after graduation. The older students tend to have their minds already made up, she said.

The two messages Vilsack spoke about were reasons why students should get an education and the opportunities available in Iowa.

Vilsack suggested students start early on a college education while in high school. In the near future, the Virtual Academy Web site, at www.att.com/learningnetwork/virtualacademy, will be available to students. This advance in technology will allow students to find college courses offered online across Iowa, Vilsack said.

“Iowa is trying to blur the lines between college and high school,” Vilsack said. Vilsack said students should take college courses for free while in high school, so they may attain a job upon graduation or receive college credit for the classes.

“The sooner they can get an associates degree, the sooner they get a job when they get out of high school,” Vilsack said.

Vilsack gave examples of how companies in Iowa are making technological advances.

Trans Ova Genetics is a company in Sioux Center that is taking steps to clone cattle in order to create blood plasma from milk, Vilsack said.

“We are on the verge of creating jobs that will fuel the world and feed the world, and you’re on the cutting edge,” Vilsack said.

“There are lots of opportunities if you look for them,” she said.

Vilsack told the students of her experience with the ISU Apparel Merchandising, Design and Production program. She had members of the department design her a dress for the inaugural address. The department was able to take photos of the stained glass window in her house and apply it on paper-backed silk, Vilsack said.

Vilsack gave these examples of jobs in Iowa to inform the students of the various job opportunities available in this day and age.

Julia Reading, senior at Ames High School, plans to attend the University of Northern Iowa. After hearing the speech, Reading said, “I’m not sure if I’ll come back to Iowa.

“I’m interested in what else is out there right now, but I might come back,” she said.

“We have lost a lot of educated students due to the fact that there weren’t many opportunities,” Vilsack said. “We have to convince educated students to stay in Iowa and make the new Iowa.

“When it comes time to decide where to live and work, give Iowa a chance,” she said.