Students called to duty can call on advisers

Kate Lewellen

ISU students called to serve their country can easily get their university affairs in order with the help of their academic adviser.

Ann Farni, program coordinator in the College of Business, said she and other advisers typically follow a set university policy when their advisees are called to active duty.

Students have a few options, depending on how far the semester has progressed when they are called to duty. They can receive grades or take an incomplete for all courses, with the instructors’ approval.

Students also have the option to receive administrative drops with a full refund for some courses and grades or incompletes for others.

The third option is to withdraw from all current term courses with a full refund of tuition and fees, Farni said.

“At this point in the semester, students would most likely withdraw and get a full refund,” she said.

Jane Jacobson, program coordinator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said she normally advises students to withdraw for the semester when they are called to active duty. She is also available to help students upon their return to Iowa State.

“We try to reintegrate them into their program of study, and we encourage them to contact their academic adviser to discuss an appropriate schedule,” Jacobson said.

Loren Zachary, assistant dean in the College of Engineering, said he also follows the university policy when his students are called to serve. He agreed that the point in the semester when the call is received dictates how the situation will be handled.

“The solution depends upon the date of call-up with respect to the progression through the semester,” he said. “If they are called near the end of the semester, the student may take incompletes, while those just starting might opt to withdraw for a full refund. It is also possible to blend the two solutions by dropping some courses and taking incompletes in others. The course of action taken will dictate how the student will progress upon returning.”

Kathleen Jones, registrar with university records and registration, said if students formally withdraw when they receive their military orders as per university policy, the reason for the withdrawal is noted on the withdrawal form and a note is placed on the student’s files to indicate the student has been called to active duty.

The number of students who are called to active duty each semester can be difficult to count, Jones said.

She said students who are called to active duty might not tell the university they are leaving.

“In some cases, students are able to complete a term and find out prior to the next one that they have been activated,” she said. “In that case, they often just cancel their classes and may not inform anyone they have left for active duty. Those students cannot be counted, although I don’t believe the numbers would be large.”

Jacobson said the last time she remembers a large number of students being called to active duty was during the Gulf War, but she has not been notified that any of her advisees have been put on notice for activation at this time.

Jones said her records indicate 19 students were called to active duty in the fall 2001 semester; one student was called for the spring 2002 semester, and one student was called for the summer 2002 semester.

In fall 2002, 10 students were called, and so far this semester, 10 students have been called to active duty as well.

Jones said this number is not final, as more students will likely be called to duty throughout the semester. She also said the numbers may not be complete since the university does not know about the activation status of some students.