Depression needs to be addressed before it’s too late

Ayrel Clark

Suicide is a serious matter and one that, as of late, ISU students have been forced to deal with.

The tragedy that occurred just over a week ago outside Knapp Hall serve as distinct reminders that suicide is very much a concern at this school.

This is a touchy subject, one that is often overlooked in favor of stories on sex, drugs and scandal — the staples of modern media coverage. Current coverage has swarmed around war in Iraq and terrorism. Albeit these are pressing issues, but suicide is just as important and affects a large number of people. Emotions are high and the risks are considerable, especially if you know the person who commits suicide or are the one contemplating taking your own life.

Studies show that the No. 1 cause of suicide is depression, a discovery that in itself is not considerably shocking. Shocking, though, is the number of suicides that occur in the United States — 30,000 Americans kill themselves each year, according to Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE).

Couple that number with the probability that you will know someone who has committed suicide or know someone who knows someone who committed suicide (those wonderful degrees of separation) and it is possible, if not likely, that every life will be affected by suicide.

Depression, being the main cause of suicide attempts and often successes, is the main concern. From time to time we all feel depressed. Whether it be because of rejection or a bad situation with a significant other, depression tends to work its way into the lives of every person who ever walked the face of the Earth.

I know I am guilty of it, I break down and cry a few times a year just to “cleanse” myself of all the crappy things that have happened. I scream out, “Everything sucks!” and somehow getting this off my chest makes me feel so much better.

But, eventually, I snap out of it. I can cry on my friend’s shoulder and feel better about life.

Due to some kind of chemical imbalance in the brain — something I am not qualified to go into any more depth about — a person who suffers from the disease of depression does not have that capability. They suffer, and continue to suffer, without any reprieve unless treated medically, which can have a whole other range of complications.

Depression is often a biological issue, according to Medicine-Net. com. But just because your genes carry the trait does not mean that you will necessarily suffer complications.

According to the Web site, “Not everybody with the genetic makeup that causes vulnerability to bipolar disorder has the illness. Apparently, additional factors, possibly a stressful environment, are involved in its onset.”

Stress? What do college kids know about that?

My guess: A lot.

College students try to maintain high academic marks while balancing a job and relationships with friends, family and mates.

Students often put more weight on their shoulders than even Atlas could bear.

Just a couple of those factors can bring one to the end of their nerves; all of them can become mentally crippling.

MedicineNet also notes that serious loss, difficult relationships and financial problems can “trigger a depressive episode.” Again, three things that will plague students on any given day.

With the hectic lives that students lead, it seems we are predisposed to the problems of depression and suicide. But we don’t have to sit there idly and wait for our depression to catch up to us. Talk to people, seek help — don’t needlessly make loved ones suffer by killing yourself or trying to.

Signs of major depression, according to SAVE, are persistent “empty” mood, feeling worthless, substance abuse, erratic sleeping and eating behaviors and loss of interest in activities, including sex. If these symptoms don’t go away, see a doctor.

Or call Student Counseling Services at 294-5056. They have crisis counselors available at all hours. It may be embarrassing to seek help, but it is better than the consequences.

Or if you are afraid to talk to someone you don’t know, talk to someone you do. Friends can provide an outlet for us, someone to cry on or yell at or at least confess to about how unhappy we are. They’ll often give advice, but most importantly are an open ear. Friends take us for who we are, at least the good ones do, and accept our faults along with our better sides.

Friends, as well as family, are often the ones hurt most by suicides. When the victim is gone, they are the ones left to grieve, wondering if there was something more they could have done.

Not to get preachy, but if you are having problems, get help. Don’t put loved ones through unnecessary sadness. Just try to tell yourself that everything will be OK and find a way to make it so.

Ayrel Clark is a sophomore in journalism and mass communications from Johnston. She is the opinion editor of the Daily.