New official ring allows alumni to wear ISU spirit

Holly Deimerly

The ISU Alumni Association has developed an official ring for ISU alumni with a design unique to Iowa State.

The ring’s design includes many of Iowa State’s traditional icons and symbols.

“One of the most prominent features of the ring is the Campanile, striking midnight. Campaniling has been a tradition since 1899,” said Scott Dahl, director of membership and marketing for the Alumni Association.

Dahl said the ring will bring meaning back to the tradition of class rings and the traditions of Iowa State.

“We’re focusing on building ISU traditions, and there just wasn’t any piece of these traditions for students to take away when they graduate,” said Ellen Shertzer, Student Alumni Leadership Council adviser. “Most Big 12 schools do have something like this.”

The ring also portrays the swans of Lake LaVerne, the trees and greenery of Central Campus, Beardshear and Curtiss Halls, as well as many other symbols.

Beth Brei, Senior Class Council president, said the ring is a way to bridge the gap between people in the ISU community.

“One reason we decided to develop the ring was that it will be a way to strengthen the bond between different generations of alumni and students,” she said.

Dahl said the process of developing an official ring was started in early 1999 in conjunction with the University Book Store. A campuswide committee of 15 to 20 people was then formed to discuss Iowa State’s traditions and development of the ring.

“Central Campus and the walk from Beardshear to Curtiss was important to most people,” Dahl said.

Certain criteria must be met to purchase the ring, he said.

Undergraduate students are eligible to purchase the ring once they have earned a minimum of 60 credits and achieved junior status. Transfer and graduate students must have 30 credits before they are eligible to purchase the ring.

Any student in their final semester who has not met the requirements may purchase the ring, Dahl said. Anyone already holding a degree from Iowa State is also eligible.

The ring was unveiled Thursday and will be available to order at the Memorial Union from March 3 to 7. The cost of the ring begins at $295.

President Gregory Geoffroy will present the rings to those who ordered them during a ceremony on April 21.