Barjche explores diversity through dance

Kelli Teno

There’s more to dance than just ballet and tap dancing, and the ISU Orchesis Dance Company is set to prove just that during this year’s Barjche performance.

Barjche is an ISU dance tradition that began before World War II, allowing dancers and choreographers an opportunity to demonstrate their talents.

Everything from the choreography to the costumes of Barjche are organized and funded by the ISU Orchesis Dance Company with the aid of faculty members Janice Baker, Vernon Windsor and artistic director Amy Martin.

“Each year has its own personal flavor because each choreographer brings in their personality [to the dance pieces],” says Baker, assistant professor of health and human performance. “The beauty of [Barjche] is that if you don’t like one piece, you’ll like the next one.”

Baker says Barjche 2003 is marked by the student choreographers’ maturity and dedication.

“There’s a nice balance between the physicality of [Barjche] and the choreographic process,” Baker says.”As a student group, it’s probably one of the most enthusiastic and professionally run groups I’ve seen,” says Martin, lecturer in health and human performance.

Jamie Jo Weeden, student choreographer and dancer, says the variety of music, ranging in style from aboriginal to indie and techno, is something the audience will enjoy.

“It’s nice because you don’t have to listen to the same thing all the time,” says Weeden, senior in early childhood education. “This is one of the elements that exemplifies Barjche 2003.”

Unlike past years, Weeden says all of the performances fit well with what Barjche is all about.

“For the first year ever, I am so proud of all the pieces,” Weeden says. “I can honestly say that all the pieces have surpassed my expectations.”

Weeden is choreographing “Blurred,” a piece about the different directions a person is pulled in life and the decisions they are forced to make.

“I really pushed myself to think out of the box [when choreographing this piece],” Weeden says.

Barjche 2003 arrives at an earlier date than in previous years, when dancers had until March to prepare for the event.

Barjche 2003 choreographer Michelle Kliegl’s piece, “Insomnia Lullaby,” portrays restlessness through lighting and costuming as well as dance movements. Although her performance is dark, Kliegl says the event as a whole has a positive meaning.

“This year [Barjche] is a little more uplifting and inspirational,” says Kliegl, senior in liberal studies. “Audiences will enjoy it more because they might be able to connect with all the pieces.”