Support group latest Iowans called to duty

Amanda Laumb

Since the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, many Iowans in the National Guard have been called to active duty to serve their country, including pilots from Boone who departed Dec. 1.

Detachment 34, an operational support airlift command headquartered in Boone, was called to federal active days ago.

Col. Robert King, public affairs officer for the Iowa National Guard, said to date more than 3,000 Iowa Army and Air National Guardsmen have been called to serve federal active duty because of last year’s attacks.

Company D, 109 Aviation, a company specializing in aviation maintenance, has had soldiers in Afghanistan, Korea and the Philippines for varying lengths of time, King said.

“A number of Special Force Squadrons have served overseas,” King said.

The Iowa National Guard has about 525 soldiers and airmen on active duty worldwide. A battalion headquartered in Fort Dodge has 350 soldiers in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana guarding United States Army facilities, King said.

Security Force Squadrons from Des Moines are on active duty providing security at Air Force Installation Centers worldwide, he said.

On campus, the numbers tell a different story.

“I have no personal knowledge of any ISU students called to active duty,” said Maj. Eric Krohn, adjunct instructor of military science and tactics.

The students in ROTC are completing an officer training program, so they wouldn’t be sent anywhere if their troop was called, said Lt. Col. Marvin Meek, chairman of the military science department and professor.

After the students have completed the ROTC program, then they are required to go wherever their troop may go, Meek said.

Noting that about 75 students are part of the ROTC and National Guard or Army Reserve, Meek said those students have a choice to serve or stay and complete officer training.

“Some students chose to drop out of Iowa State to serve a higher calling,” Meek said. Many students are guard members but not in the ROTC program, so they are eligible for duty.

Calling troops up to active duty is an important part of the process to get ready if military action overseas became necessary, said James McCormick, chairman of the political science department and professor.

“These are preparations if military action were to be the case,” he said.

Meek said those who have chosen that career path and joined the military are generally ready to be called to duty.

“They have a need to serve their country where needed,” he said.

Looking toward the future, King was uncertain.

“We don’t know what to expect next,” he said.