Students abroad in Kenya will remain, offcials say

Scott Rank

ISU students studying in Kenya are in little danger following a terrorist attack in the country last week that killed 13 people, study abroad officials said.

Trevor Nelson, coordinator of the Study Abroad Center, said he does not intend to bring students back early or cancel any programs in Kenya.

Three suicide bombers blew up the Paradise Hotel in Mombasa on Thursday, killing three Israeli tourists and 10 Kenyans while injuring several more. A short time earlier, unknown assailants fired two missiles at an Israeli charter plane carrying 271 people, but missed their target. Various officials blame al-Qaida for the attack, which occurred minutes after the tourist group checked into the hotel.

In 1998, the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi was bombed, leaving 219 dead and more than 5,000 injured. The al-Qaida network was also blamed for that bombing.

Nelson said the State Department hasn’t issued a travel warning — only an announcement for tourists to be more stringent in planning their trips.

“We haven’t considered terminating the program,” he said. “I think it might be presumptuous to terminate the program based only on a travel announcement.”

However, he said, since the State Department hasn’t issued any warnings there’s not a serious safety threat for the students.

“Travel warnings are the determining factor as to whether or not a country is safe and since no warning has been issued we presume there isn’t a great amount of danger,” Nelson said.

He also said the chances of students being exposed to danger were even lower than the chances of another terrorist attack in Mombasa.

“The [students] aren’t in the major population areas, such as Nairobi or Mombasa, where Westerners are more at risk,” he said.

Nelson said since students won’t travel to those two cities, which are the major urban centers of Kenya, the programs won’t have to be altered to increase safety.

“Our first concern is the health and the welfare of the students,” he said. “If the terrorist situation in Kenya deteriorated to the point of being unsafe, we would terminate the summer programs.”

The likelihood of the program being canceled is low, he said, but the study abroad office will continue to watch the situation in Kenya to ensure that students traveling there would be safe.

“We’ll be monitoring State Department warnings, keeping in touch with international contacts and seeing what action other universities with Kenya summer study programs are taking,” he said.

Some experts suspect terrorists are changing their targets from large, well-secured buildings to tourist resorts and other relatively vulnerable, low-security targets that nonetheless have high visibility.

Some officials believe those traveling could be at risk — including ISU students studying abroad in Kenya.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said in a statement “so far as travel advice to Kenya is concerned, it already warns of possible dangers.” He said the State Department would be “reviewing it straight away.”

— The Associated Press contributed to this story.