Black greeks stress history

Amanda Laumb

Historically black fraternities and sororities have a deep history, different than that of predominately white greek organizations.

“Originally, African-Americans were not allowed to join white greek organizations,” said La’Tifini McClinton, senior in community health education.

As they were pushed away from the Collegiate Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, blacks decided to form greek letter organizations of their own, along with a national governing body, the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), said McClinton, president of the NPHC at Iowa State.

However, skin color is not a consideration when admitting new members to the brother- and sisterhoods.

“African-American chapters are inclusive of everyone,” McClinton said. “But you have to show a genuine interest in wanting to join. No matter what color the skin, everyone here earns their letters the same.”

Michelle Talbott, a white member of Zeta Phi Beta, joined her chapter as a junior in 1999. “I joined Zeta Phi Beta Sorority because I believe in its principles and goals,” said Talbott, senior in English.

The first black greek organization founded in the United States was Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. It was founded in 1906 at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., said member Jeremiah Cobb, junior in finance.

“We are the only African-American collegiate fraternity to be founded at an Ivy League school,” Cobb said.

Cobb said Alpha Phi Alpha came to Iowa State in 1922 as the Alpha Nu chapter.

However, in 1976 membership numbers dropped too low, and the chapter had to be moved to Drake University. It returned to the ISU campus in 1978 as membership increased.

Currently, Alpha Phi Alpha still has a joint chapter with Drake University. Five members go to Iowa State and one member attends Drake, Cobb said. Active on campus, the fraternity provides two $200 book scholarships each year to winners of an essay contest, Cobb said. The competition is open to anyone.

They also hold canned food drives to help local food banks. Together, with other black chapters, they have collected and donated over $600 worth of food, Cobb said.

None of the six historically black greek chapters at Iowa State can offer housing for members, and McClinton said this is not uncommon at predominately white universities.

“We don’t receive enough money or have enough members to make it feasible,” McClinton said.

She said the black organizations try to make the best use of the property they own, the Black Cultural Center, 517 Welch Ave. NPHC meetings are held there, but it also has other uses.

For example, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, established at Iowa State in 1988, has only two active members, Talbott said. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority came to Iowa State in 1923 and has five active members this year, McClinton said.

Phi Beta Sigma was brought to Iowa State’s campus in 1984, said president DeAndre Stallworth, junior in industrial technology. This year there are nine active fraternity brothers, he said.

In contrast, Alisa Frandsen, program coordinator for greek affairs, said the white sororities have an average of 69 members this fall. The white fraternities are averaging 54 members.

The members living in white greek houses pay for the house.

“They pay a house bill, which includes room, board and social dues, to a corporation board that owns the house,” Frandsen said.

McClinton said the lack of housing doesn’t affect the unity of the historically black chapters. Her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta, eats together on campus to give students a chance to see them out as a greek organization.

“We are also on Instant Messenger all day with each other,” McClinton said.

Delta Sigma Theta also sets aside time just to hang out.

“We don’t talk about any business, we just hang out and enjoy each other,” McClinton said.

Alpha Phi Alpha sponsors a free “Midnight Breakfast” about once a month at the Black Cultural Center. Cobb said the doors open at 10:30 p.m. on a Friday, and the fraternity serves pancakes, eggs and sausage until 2 a.m.

“The Black Cultural Center gives students a sense of home and a place to hang out between classes,” McClinton said.

Historically black greek organizations do their recruiting differently than white greek organizations. They are interested in people who can carry out the image that their founders worked hard for, McClinton said.

“We pick people of character,” she said. “We all work hard to carry on tradition.”

Interested members are encouraged to do research to find an organization that fits with their personality and beliefs, McClinton said. They are later invited to chapter programming and are given a chance to get to know everyone in the chapter.

“This is a lifetime commitment, so you need to make sure you pick the right one for you,” McClinton said.

To join Delta Sigma Theta, the potential member needs to have 30 credits or sophomore standing and a 2.5 GPA, McClinton said. Interviews are also part of the joining process. Other historically black greek chapters have similar requirements.