Iowa State search committees net three candidates

Jennifer Martin

The three candidates for vice president for academic affairs and provost will be on campus starting next week to introduce themselves to administrators, faculty and students.

An ISU search committee chose the following three finalists: Nancy Smith Barrett, provost and vice president for academic affairs at the University of Alabama; Terry King, dean of the College of Engineering at Kansas State University; and Gary Krahenbuhl, senior vice president at Arizona State University.

King, who will be the first to visit, is scheduled to be on campus Nov. 11-13. He was unavailable for comment.

Krahenbuhl said he was looking for a new challenge when he looked into the provost position. His visit is scheduled for Nov. 13-15.

“I’ve visited the campus and thought it was a place that had a very good feeling. It’s a university that knew its mission, felt comfortable with it and is trying to accomplish that mission,” he said.

Krahenbuhl said he was fond of Iowa State and was ready to know more about it.

“It will be fun to get to know the campus and its people better,” he said.

Barrett, who has never been to Iowa, said she is excited about her upcoming visit. She will be on campus Nov. 18-20.

“I’m looking forward to being there, seeing people and meeting faculty and students,” she said.

Barrett heard about the opening through word-of- mouth.

“It looked like a great opportunity, and here I am,” she said.

President Gregory Geoffroy said all three candidates are “people who have extensive administrative experience and a track record of success.”

Barrett has been provost at two large public universities — the University of Alabama and Western Michigan University — and she has learned a lot about various issues they had in common.

“I can bring new fresh ideas to Iowa State University,” she said.

Krahenbuhl said he has wisdom that comes with experience.

“You get the best ideas from students and faculty to make the university a better place,” he said.

King received his bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from Iowa State and was a faculty member for 15 years in the department of chemical engineering. King served as chairman for seven years.