Students and faculty take their portfolios online

Molly Meyerhoff

Imagine how much nicer it would be to let a potential employer see a project rather than explain it to them. That is possible using an electronic portfolio.

A conference discussing how to use and implement an electronic portfolio — an Internet-based or computer-accessible compilation of work that could be provided to future employers and educators — will take place at the Communications Building from 8:30 a.m. to noon Wednesday.

The conference will discuss how to create a portfolio in addition to highlighting its goals and complications a user and university may encounter.

The conference is intended to show faculty what options are available for creating electronic portfolios and what is being done across the country, said Pete Boysen, senior system analyst of academic information technologies and panelist at the event.

There are several different types of portfolios, said Mary Huba assistant vice provost for educational leadership and policy studies.

Options include all-inclusive portfolios, which are collections of all of the students’ work throughout their courses here, Huba said.

There is also is a selection portfolio, in which a selection of work is placed, based on a particular learning goal, she said.

Another option would be employment portfolios. The employment portfolio would show examples of work for the student to show future employees, Boysen said.

Huba said she will talk about how faculty can use portfolios to “promote and evaluate student learning.”

One of the goals of implementing electronic portfolios at Iowa State is also giving students the opportunity to showcase their capabilities, said Gene Takle, professor of agronomy and geological and atmospheric sciences.

The portfolio will also include a student-written piece about their project, Huba said.

“It will show what students are learning and how they are learning,” Huba said.

Takle said a transcript only gives a “sterile record of the student’s capabilities.”

The portfolios will also “enhance student learning” by developing critical thinking skills, Takle said. He said the portfolios will provide “richer multidimensional representation” of what a student can do.

These electronic portfolios will help with the advising process, said Takle, a panelist for the event. Advisers will be able to access to a student’s work.

The adviser will be able to tell the strengths and weaknesses of each individual student, he said. Then, advisers can help select courses students will need on an individual basis rather than going by a required list.

Creating electronic portfolios causes some complications with computer security, Takle said. Questions arise as to what type of access advisers, faculty and future employers should have, he said.

Faculty portfolios can be reviewed for promotions and tenure, Boysen said.