Library works through budget cuts

Adam Calder

Parks Library has not been spared from universitywide budget cuts but the effects of those cuts are kept to a minimum by library staff.

There have been $477,602 in total budget cuts, including a $253,249 cut from the acquisitions budget, which is what the library uses to acquire new magazines, journals and books, said Olivia Madison, dean of library services.

After the cuts, money to adjust for inflation was given to the library, she said.

Madison said the lowered operating budget was offset by the inflation budget, as well as special initiatives from President Gregory Geoffroy and support from various student and faculty organizations.

“Although we suffered cuts, we received earmark funds for inflation and expansion of the e-library and two to three faculty positions,” she said.

Madison said the library is maintaining current services and adding new ones despite budget cuts.

“We are implementing an academic Google so students can search the e-library, the online catalogue and various other library sections so [they] can search across many platforms,” she said.

Madison said she hopes to begin the search-engine program in January with special funding designated by Geoffroy.

Decreased work-study funding and increased work load for library employees are direct effects of the budget cuts. No changes in library operation are planned, she said.

Mark Chidister, assistant to the president, said the library is given high priority.

When budget reductions occurred last year, each college was asked to cut 3 percent and non-academic programs were asked to cut 4 percent of their budgets, he said.

“[We] tried to ease the burden on parts of the university that provide education,” Chidister said.

Money was allocated for the library to help offset the budget problems and to advance areas of library service, he said.

John McIntosh, sophomore in English, said he goes to the library at least once a week and has noticed some changes.

“The circulation desk people are always somewhere else,” he said. “It doesn’t really bother me because I know my way around, but there are some first-year students wandering about who need them.”

Madison said she feels the future of the library is a bright one.

“I think the new initiative dollars Geoffroy gave us will make the e-library an important service to students at ISU,” she said. “I remain optimistic. Even with [budget] cuts, the library has been able to make strong enhancements to the programs here.”