Seminar familiarizes new greeks with college-life issues

Amanda Laumb

Newcomers to the greek community are starting their year off with a BANG.

Becoming A New Greek, or BANG, is presented by the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils to ease the transition into greek life, said Alisa Frandsen, interim assistant dean of students for greek affairs.

The program, now in its second year, educates students about the greek system, she said.

Beth Brantley, Collegiate Panhellenic Council and BANG adviser, said the program allows students to meet other new members from different fraternities or sororities and to learn about leadership opportunities within the greek community.

BANG 2002 was held for three weeks in September, she said.

Ben Klocke, vice president of programming and new member education, and Susan Kloewer, Panhellenic new member coordinator, planned the events. A committee of five additional greek members helped with preparations.

“This gave [new fraternity and sorority members] a chance to learn about time management and responsible social activities,” said Klocke, junior in finance and member of Pi Kappa Phi.

New members are divided into groups and given team leaders to help answer questions and assist with each session, Frandsen said.

Greek members put on skits dealing with issues such as alcohol, class attendance, grades and stereotypes associated with the greek community.

New members discussed the content of the skits after they were performed, said Brantley, graduate student in journalism and mass communication.

Attendance at BANG sessions is mandatory for new fraternity members and strongly encouraged for new sorority members, Klocke said.

“There is beneficial information presented each night, and it gives new members a chance to do some networking,” said Kloewer, junior in advertising.

Kloewer is an advertising account executive for the Daily.

Jared Lovelady, freshman in economics and new member of Pi Kappa Phi, said BANG was one of the first requirements of the fraternity.

“I had no idea what to expect at first but I learned how to get along with other members in the greek community, and I made great connections with other houses,” he said.

Not all new greeks thought BANG was beneficial.

Meghan Farnen, new Delta Zeta member and freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, attended only the first meeting.

“Intramural sports fell on the same night as BANG events, and I chose to participate in that instead,” she said.

The presentation of the material BANG uses will be re-evaluated for next year’s session, Brantley said.