ClubFest extends invitation for student involvement

Kate Lewellen

ISU students will have the opportunity to discover all the clubs and organizations the university has to offer at ClubFest on Wednesday.

Students can attend ClubFest from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Ballroom and other rooms of the Memorial Union.

Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Dean of Students’ Office, said about 160 clubs will be at the event. She said ClubFest is an annual event for all students who want to get involved.

“The purpose of ClubFest is to give an opportunity for students to meet people who are involved in clubs and organizations,” Bestler-Wilcox said. “It’s a great way to get involved on campus.”

There are 625 clubs and organizations in which students can get involved, she said, and more than 150 of them will be represented at the event. The Student Activities Center will have a flyer with contact information for each organization not present at Wednesday’s ClubFest, Bestler-Wilcox said.

Jesse Shumaker, president of the ISU Unicycling and Juggling Club and senior in management information systems, said his club will have a booth. They are also planning a stage show around 2:30 p.m. He hopes ISU students will stop by for more information, he said.

“This fall we are working really hard on recruiting,” Shumaker said.

The club members’ interests extend to other circus arts such as diabolo and devil sticking, according to the club’s Web site at www.stuorg.iastate.edu/isuuc/. The club is also available for performances at various campus and community events.

The Tir Asleen Medieval Combat Society will also be at ClubFest.

Matt Stephenson, president of the club and a sophomore in biology, hopes students will visit the club’s booth.

“We’re a full-contact, non-scripted, live action role-play group,” he said. “During our meetings we play a variety of games – pretty much any kind of game that can be done with foam weapons.”

Stephenson said students interested in joining the group should just show up and play.

“After a few games you’ll need some minimal costuming, a battle name and a weapon, which we’ll show you how to make,” he said. “It’s fun, great exercise, and combines history, acting and physical activity into a unique whole.”