ClubFest helps groups attract new members

Kate Lewellen

ISU students braved the rain Wednesday to discover 173 campus clubs and organizations.

Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, said ClubFest, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, went well.

“It’s raining this year for the first time in six years, and we started an hour later this year, but so far it’s going well,” she said.

Jacqui Becker, senior in journalism and mass communication and vice president of Student Alumni Association membership, said SAA was able to talk to a lot of students.

She said more than 100 students joined SAA last year, making Iowa State’s student group the largest student alumni association in the country.

“We had 4,200 members last year, and our goal for this year is 5,000,” she said.

Stacie Pettit, junior in finance, and Katie Bergmann, junior in marketing, were at ClubFest promoting Run for the Roses, a 5K run and walk to benefit arthritis sufferers. The event is sponsored by Alpha Omicron Pi, 2007 Greeley St., and the Ames Area Runners’ Club.

“We’ve given out quite a few brochures, and we are encouraging the students to sign up before Oct. 10 because the entry fee is discounted until then,” Pettit said.

Bergmann said the 1,100 runners from last year raised more than $6,000 and the goal is to meet that again. The run takes place on Oct. 20.

Amanda Berenguel, sophomore in child and family services and the treasurer for Mexican-American Young Achievers Society, or MAYAS, was hoping more people would stop by for information as the afternoon progressed.

“So far we haven’t had a lot of people but I think it will pick up,” she said. MAYAS is currently planning events in connection with Hispanic Heritage Month.

Stephanie Gardner, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production, said she was required to come to ClubFest for an orientation class.

“While I’m here, I plan to look for a dance club of some kind or maybe a club in fashion merchandising,” she said.

Nicole Kreber, freshman in dietetics, said she was looking forward to ClubFest.

“I think that hip-hop dance club sounds really cool, and I’d also like to find a running club,” she said. “There are so many clubs on campus and this is a great way to find out about each one of them.”