Climbing tower promotes Army ideals

Sarah Riesberg

There’s something new across the street from Jack Trice Stadium and it’s not a giant playground for drunken tailgaters. It’s a 55-foot Alpine Tower, courtesy of Army ROTC.

The tower is part of a six-stop college tour conducted to get the word out about the program at Iowa State and on other campuses.

“Our goal is not to recruit but to expose students to ROTC on campus,” said Maj. Eric Krohn of the ISU ROTC. “We want to increase awareness that we are here.”

This is the tower’s second appearance on campus. Last year was the first of the tour.

Marenda Porter, senior in finance, said climbing the tower is definitely a challenge.

“Its extremely tough. It’s nothing like climbing a regular wall because things are loose and swinging,” she said

The height is intimidating, she said, but seems to go unnoticed until someone actually begins the climb.

“It’s a lot higher than you think, but it’s all worth it when you get to the top and ring the bell,” Porter said. “[Climbing is] very fun and scary, but completely worth it.”

ROTC representatives will be on hand to answer questions and to hand out free T-shirts, hats and other goodies to those who think they can conquer the tower.

“We do this to allow students and the community members a free adventure and at the same time to expose them to the benefits of joining ROTC,” said Capt. Dan Runyon of the ISU ROTC. “The end result being, hopefully, more recruits.”

The focus of ROTC is on creating officers to lead soldiers into the next century, but at the same time, making sure a good education is reached, said Krohn. ROTC at ISU provides tutors for members, scholarships, and the skills necessary to become a leader, he said.

“Eighty percent of the focus is on education,” said Krohn.

One incentive is a free pizza party for the fraternity or sorority with the most people who dare to climb, Runyon said. Releases must be signed before anyone is allowed to go up and trained personnel are on staff to assist.

“It’s a free adrenaline rush for all ages who want to try it,” Runyon said. “The goal is just to spread the word.”

ROTC recruits students with good grades, athletic ability, an attraction to physical challenges, motivation, experience in leadership, belief in teamwork and integrity.

The tower-climbing begins 10 a.m. Friday and continues Saturday, and is open to the public.