Fair highlights opportunities for study abroad

Amy Wahle

Students are invited to start turning goals of international study and travel into reality at the International Opportunities Fair on Thursday.

The ISU Study Abroad Center hosts the annual fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Students can look at the 61 study abroad exhibits explaining the different programs with locations across six continents.

“It is always a fun atmosphere,” said Katharine Gordon, fair coordinator. “This is a great opportunity for students to see where they might like to go.” Representatives will be available to answer questions at all the exhibits, she said.

Gordon, a graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, said semester, summer and year-long study programs are available as well as working and interning abroad.

The Study Abroad Center, located in Suite 256 of the Memorial Union, has 218 programs located in 66 countries, said Trevor Nelson, assistant director and coordinator of study abroad.

Iowa State ranks 20th in the nation for sending the most students abroad. Nelson said this is a commendable position, considering the schools ahead of Iowa State are “invariably larger and private.”

He said the study abroad program at Iowa State is successful due to curriculum integration and commitment from the institution. He also cited the advisers’ willingness to work with students and the amount of financial aid available.

The College of Design semester in Rome and the semester program in Wales, sponsored by the Board of Regents, are two of the most popular programs, Nelson said. He said the programs “have almost become a self-sustaining tradition.”

Colin Kurth, senior in marketing, said he found studying abroad to be an eye-opening experience.

“You get outside your bubble and you realize how many other viewpoints others have,” he said.