`Into The Streets’ exits onto ISU community

Kate Lewellen

A new week dedicated to the spirit of community and giving back through volunteerism kicks off Wednesday.

The Student Activities Center is hoping 500 hours of community service will be completed by 200 students during the 48-hour “Into The Streets,” which is a precursor to Cyclone Spirit Week.

“We believe there are 200 students out there that are willing to help,” said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office and adviser of the ISU Volunteer Center, which is responsible for bringing “Into The Streets” to campus.

“Into the Streets” is a national initiative designed to introduce more students to community service and provide a learning experience that will motivate them to volunteer on a regular basis, Bestler-Wilcox said. She said a number of students have shown interest in a large community service event of this nature and “Into the Streets” is a way for students to connect with others and do some community service.

Cyclone Spirit Week is next Monday through Friday, which will include the first anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Event organizers hope the anniversary will remind many students of the importance of serving others.

“With the events of the past year, it makes people realize how important it is to give back to their community,” Bestler-Wilcox said.

Pete Englin, dean of students, said he hopes students will take advantage of the opportunity to serve the community. He said despite the fact the anniversary of the attacks is approaching, there were other reasons the project was brought to Iowa State.

“Volunteerism here at Iowa State is nothing new,” Englin said. “This is a week to celebrate the Cyclone Spirit and Sept. 11 is included in that week. While this project is new to Iowa State this year, it was not precipitated by the events of Sept. 11.”

Program coordinators are looking for 250 or more volunteers for projects in Story County to be completed on Friday and Saturday. Students can sign up in two- to four-hour blocks or more and gain the satisfaction Bestler-Wilcox said comes along with giving back to the community.

“The most important thing students need to understand about this program is that it is a way to introduce students to service in Story County, where they are now living,” she said.

“Whether they are new students or returning students, it is a great way to help others.”

She said volunteers will spend the day working with youth, helping out in area shelters, doing landscape projects, cleaning up parks and trails and visiting with residents in care centers.

Classes, organizations or groups of friends can volunteer together as well if registration forms are turned in at the same time and stapled together. Every effort will be made to accommodate groups and preferences.

Additional information about the “Into the Streets” program can be found at www.sac.iastate.edu. Anyone interested in volunteering should e-mail Bestler-Wilcox at [email protected] by 3 p.m. on Thursday.

Spirit of Community Remembering Responding

Wednesday, Sept. 4

12:10 to 1 p.m., 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Orientation to Into the Streets: Spirit of Community; Pioneer Room, Memorial Union.

Friday, Sept. 6

10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Into the Streets: Spirit of Community; Check in at ground floor booth, Memorial Union. Site leaders will meet up with teams and go to the sites.

Saturday, Sept. 7

9 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Into the Streets: Spirit of Community; Check in at Gold Room, Memorial Union. Site leaders will meet up with teams and go to the sites.

Tuesday, Sept. 10

“Spirit of Community”

11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Penny Drive vs. University of Iowa: Ground floor, Memorial Union, outside hub.

12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m., 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Cardinal Room, Memorial Union; Reflection day for Into the Streets: Spirit of Community. Site leaders and teams reflect on their experiences through discussion and journaling.

Wednesday, Sept. 11

10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Celebrating the Human Spirit: Opportunities to view, journal, reflect and perform in the Great Hall, South Ballroom, and Sun Room, Memorial Union.

Noon – Moments of silence: campuswide.

12:10 p.m. – Remembrance: Curtiss Hall steps; Campanile performance by Tin Shi Tam, university carillonneur. Program to follow with members of the university community.

5:30 p.m. – City of Ames “Remembering”: Bandshell Park, high school band performance with program following.

8 p.m. – Candlelight Vigil: Lake LaVerne. Rain site: Great Hall, Memorial Union.

9 p.m. – Spiritual Gathering: Sun Room, Memorial Union. An informal place for small groups to reflect, pray, meditate and discuss.

Thursday, Sept. 12

11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Penny Drive vs. University of Iowa; South Campanile.

Noon – Spirit Banners Due: B6, Memorial Union.

10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Intercollegiate Road Scholars Tour: Interactive activities promoting healthy lifestyles and safety issues; South Campanile and Lot 100 (South of the Lied Recreation Center).

6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. -Celebrity Recreation Challenge and Recreation Services Open House: Lied Recreation Center.

Friday, Sept. 13

“Celebrating Cyclone Spirit”

11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Penny Drive vs. University of Iowa: South Campanile.

10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Intercollegiate Road Scholars Tour: Interactive activities promoting healthy lifestyles and safety issues; South Campanile and Lot 100 (South of Lied Recreation Center).

3 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Friday After Class Cyclone Trivia Challenge: Maintenance Shop, Memorial Union.

9 p.m. to 1 p.m. – ISU After Dark: Dance and Karaoke Party; Great Hall, Memorial Union.

Spirit Week grand prize drawing: Cyclone Prize Package; Four ISU vs. Iowa athletic tickets and a substance fee limousine ride to and from the game will be given away during the event. Spirit Banner winner announced. Penny Challenge announced.

Saturday, Sept. 14

5 p.m. – ISU vs. Iowa football game televised.