Students get earlier shot at M-Shop

Celeste Smith

A policy change for the Maintenance Shop ticketing system means more availability to shows for ISU students. Starting this fall, students can purchase tickets for a week before general public tickets go on sale.

Eric Yarwood, coordinator for the Maintenance Shop, says the policy came about because the M-Shop is subsidized by student fees.

Yarwood says students can purchase tickets at the Memorial Union Ticketmaster outlet during the week before the they are publicly sold.

Each student must present his or her ISUCard to get no more than two tickets, both of which must go to an ISU student. Students are required to show their ISU Card at the door.

Acts such as Midtown on Sept. 23 will likely attract a large number of students, while the more traditional, seated shows will likely be more heavily attended by the general public, Yarwood says.

Paul Friemel, junior in graphic design, says he agrees with the change in the ticket system.

“I think it’s a great policy because the shows at the M-Shop are put on there for the students of Iowa State University and they should get priority on those tickets,” Friemel says.

Friemel has been concerned about being able to purchase student tickets for shows featuring popular bands.

Keith Rich, senior at Roland-Story High School, said he is concerned about getting tickets for Midtown, a band that has seen a rise in popularity as of late. He sees the fairness in the change, though.

“This new policy has its good and bad [points], but it is a benefit for the ISU students,” Rich says.