Summer News

May 21

President Geoffroy reinstates Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication chairman John Eighmey and associate chairman Joel Geske to their administrative positions. Provost Rollin Richmond had relieved them of their duties in the midst of allegations of racism.

May 23

In an article in its June issue, National Geographic highlights the students of ZIP code 50012, which includes residence halls Friley, Helser and Westgate Halls.

June 4

Peg Armstrong-Gustafson is named interim CEO and president of the ISU Foundation. The search for a permanent replacement for former President and CEO Tom Mitchell began when he said he would be leaving for the University of California-Irvine.

Nearly 2,000 people gather on central campus for the International Pig Congress dinner.

June 6

The Department of Residence finds homeless squatters in Friley Hall.

June 11

A new homeland security directive issued by President Bush could affect more than 2,300 ISU students by 2003. According to the plan, international students would be limited in choice of majors and would be monitored more closely.

June 13

Former ISU football players and roommates Aaron Howard and Justin Eilers are involved in an altercation in which Eilers hits Howard in the mouth and urges him to fight back. Police later seize several things from Eilers’ room and the living room, including syringes and a bottle of anabolic steroids.

June 15

The Iowa Motion Picture Association presents “Escape Velocity,” a film created by ISU students and faculty, three awards at its annual ceremony. The film takes Best Actress, Kim Hale, Best Lighting, Aaron Siskow, and Best Direction, Dan Mundt.

June 24

The College of Agriculture announces plans in an open letter from the dean that it will review all 259 of its endowment accounts. Dean Catherine Woteki releases the letter after a small sample of the university’s 1,300-plus endowment accounts are reviewed.

June 25

A New York independent record label picks up local band Why Make Clocks? and agrees to release the band’s album, “15 Feet and 20 Degrees.”

July 1

Labh Hira is appointed to a three-year term as dean of the College of Business.

July 5

First National Bank, 2330 Lincoln Way, is robbed by an individual police named as a suspect in two other summer bank robberies.

July 11

Summer enrollment reaches a record high, topping 10,000 for the first time.

July 18

The Board of Regents approves the budget for the upcoming year, which includes several cuts. John McCarroll, director of university relations, said no faculty layoffs will occur, but open positions will be eliminated and 209 full-time employees will be laid off.

July 23

Following his annual review in June, John Eighmey steps down from his position at the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication.

Cael Sanderson secures a spot on the U.S. World Team by winning the last two matches of a best-of-three series.

July 29

Ames police apprehend the man they believe to be responsible for a series of bank robberies in Ames. Police respond to a bank alarm set off at First Federal Bank, 316 S. Duff Ave, and captured the man nearby.

Iowa State assistant wrestling coach Chris Bono clinches a spot on the U.S. World Team.

-Information gathered by Christian Dahlager