Jobless students struggle in Ames

Adam Calder

For many students, coming to college means newfound financial independence – which can leave them hunting for jobs.

Business owners across Ames might welcome returning students eager to fill open positions, but the businesses are also dealing with high demands for services.

“Ames is a tough city to get a job in,” said Joanna Webb, assistant manager at Target, 320 South Duff Ave. “Jobs are few and far between.”

Webb said 300 to 400 students apply for employment at Target at the beginning of the semester. She also said for every job opening about 100 people apply.

Throughout the year Target maintains the same level of staff, Webb said, but extra help is needed in November and December because of the holiday shopping rush. She said if students are interested in working during the holiday season, they should apply by mid-October.

Gretchen McDowell, a manager at Copyworks, agreed job openings are filled quickly. McDowell said about 50 students apply for positions at the beginning of the semester. Since business increases dramatically when school is in session, she said Copyworks hires 12 to 15 new students.

She suggested interested students apply two weeks to a month before school starts.

Rebecca Marzen, junior in psychology, began working at Evolution, 116 Welch Ave., in midsummer. Marzen found the job with little trouble, and said being a college student helped her get the job.

Marzen, like many other students, relies on her job to help pay for tuition, bills and recreation.

Allison Klang, freshman in elementary education, said she is thinking about getting into the Ames job market. Klang said she is eligible for work-study but is unsure if she wants to work for the university.

“[I’d like to work] something in retail. I worked at the Gap for a year,” she said.

Klang said being a college student may help or hinder an applicants chances of getting hired.

“Retail jobs expect you to work more, [and being a college student] will probably hurt your chances. If you apply for a job at ISU, being a student will help,” she said.

Klang said her job search is parentally motivated. “My parents want me to have my own spending money,” she said.

One former student did not have such promising things to say about student employment in Ames.

Darrin VanderPlass said he applied at 10 different businesses before he got a job and he believes being a student hinders chances at getting hired. In every interview, VanderPlass said he was asked if he was a student. If he answered yes, he said, he wasn’t called for a second interview.