Tucked-away studio offers array of classes

Emily Ries

While finding the Workspace, deep within the bowels of the Memorial Union, can prove to be somewhat of a challenge to first-time visitors, the trip to the open art studio will be worth the time.

This semester, the color-splashed walls that depict the changing seasons and house the studio will once again be full of vibrant life.

The Workspace is offering a wide range of classes, including stained glass construction, hand-built and wheel-thrown pottery, jewelry construction, photography and origami.

There are many kinds of art classes taught using an assortment of media, and students and community members alike can also learn how to belly dance, play the guitar, write poetry and even how to manipulate the flexibility of one’s body in yoga classes.

As program adviser of arts, Letitia Hansen oversees the operations of the space, sets the class schedules, arranges for teachers, works with student staff members and promotes the services the Workspace has to offer.

Hansen says there are classes for both beginners and more experienced individuals.

“People who are interested can experiment,” Hansen said.

Garth Kelly, graduate student in agronomy, has worked at the Workspace since the beginning of the summer.

Kelly was a first-time visitor last spring and then became interested in being employed by the studio.

“I took a class in February, and really liked it,” Kelly said. “It’s a cheap and convenient place to work on whatever artwork you are interested in.”

Relatively inexpensive in comparison with some types of entertainment and relaxing activities, classes offered at the Workspace range in length and time, and thus also differ in cost.

Hansen said class prices can range from $15 to $100, but that cost includes studio time and supplies. The Workspace also offers many services, such as screen printing and button-making, for very reasonable prices.

Open Studio time is available for $2 per day or $20 per semester for ISU students. Those who are not currently enrolled at Iowa State must pay $3 per day or $25 per semester.

Hansen says the workspace employs both students and professional artists as teachers.

She says she is always looking for new ones, but also relies on experienced artists such as John Burright.

Burright, a buyer supervisor for the University Bookstore and Workspace teacher, has taught classes for eight years. In that time he has coached students in everything from airbrush painting to photo mat cutting, from creating mosaic stepping stones to building birdhouses.

“I found the Workspace when I was a student here and I am not going to say how long ago!” Burright said with a laugh.

He says he enjoys teaching classes to people who may not be art majors, but want to learn something new.

The Workspace “is a hidden jewel of the university,” Burright said. “Take time to discover it.”

The Workspace is open Monday through Thursday from 1 to 10 p.m. and on Friday and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.