Welch Avenue businessesto host open house event

Dana Dejong

Welch Avenue will come alive Thursday as Campustown businesses open their doors to the Ames community.

“It’s kind of like an open house in a very large area,” said John Crawford, president of the Campustown Action Association.

The event, called an Evening in Campustown, includes about 28 businesses that will be participating through various sales and promotions from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday.

The participating shops will be identified by yellow posters in the front window or door that lists the particular store’s specials, Crawford said. Shoppers may hear strains of the Flintstones as they are walking from store to store.

The Ames Jazz Quartet will be playing in front of Stomping Grounds, said Ed Kaiser, bassist and the only current non-Iowa Stater of the four. Songs such as “the Flintstones” theme are well-known, but the quartet adds personal touches, Kaiser said.

Other members include ISU band program members Barry Larkin, associate professor of music on drums, and Jim Bovinette, associate professor of music on the trumpet, as well as Ron Roberts, adjunct associate professor for the Center for Nondestructive Evaluation on guitar.

The University Bookstore is participating in An Evening on Campustown, said Jillian Duggen, Web developer for University Bookstore. The store is hosting a story time with Spot the Dog, the character from children’s books and providing free snacks from the Memorial Union Catering, she said.

It is also having sales on 2003 calendars and on blue and red merchandise as part of its “cool blue savings on red hot merchandise,” Deuggen said.

The Ames Police Department and Ames Fire Department will participate in the event with a bike rodeo and child car seat inspection, and a jr. fire chief booth, respectively, Crawford said.

“Campustown is unique because it has a wide variety of shops and restaurants contributing to an international flavor, he said. The event will allow Ames residents to experience Campustown when students aren’t around.

“It’s just a reminder for some of our local customers who stay away because of student activity,” he said. “Campustown sometimes gets a bad rap – people think it’s nothing but bars – but it’s just the opposite.”