Knoll Road expansion could ruin class giftto museum

Dana Dejong

Future projects of a national historic landmark and the class of 2002 gift could be at stake if Knoll Road is expanded.

A planned landscaping project for the Farm House Museum could conflict with the expansion of Knoll Road.

The university is looking at making the Curtiss Hall parking lot accessible from the north to reduce traffic at the intersection of Knoll Road and Union Drive, said Cathy Brown, program coordinator of facilities planning and management.

She said the change would also provide greater pedestrian safety because access is limited by Osborn Drive, which is a controlled street.

There are two major concerns for the Farm House, said Rachel Hampton, communications specialist for University Museums.

First, the class of 2002 has decided to recreate the arbor off the northeast corner of the Farm House as their class gift, she said.

“The arbor is only part of the gift that the class of 2002 is presenting the university,” said Ellen Dunseth, Alumni Association assistant director for student programs. “The gift is to restore the landscape to its previous aesthetics.”

The project includes not only the arbor, but also a bench, an arbor gate, fencing and the recreation of historically accurate trees and shrubs.

The class decided on the Farm House project because it is visual, said Lauren Hughes, departing senior council president.

“Students from the class can come back and see their contribution, unlike some of the previous class gifts, which are still in the planning stages,” Hughes said.

She said if things go as planned, the project should be completed this fall.

Neither Hughes nor Dunseth said they were aware of the possible expansion of Knoll Road. During the selection process, the two worked very closely with university committees, the ISU Foundation and university museums.

Brown said she wasn’t sure if the class of 2002’s gift would be affected by the construction.

“We haven’t explored it to that level of detail,” she said.

In conjunction with the Alumni Association, the class of 2002 is still proceeding with the class gift, which is to be located on the northeast side of the property along the west side of the road, said Lynette Pohlman, Director of University Museums.

The arbor will be located off the top of the stairs on the back entrance to the museum.

“University Museums tries to keep the Farm House true to the original intentions,” Hampton said.

“The Farm House is important to the story of Iowa State.”

She said the Farm House was the world’s first college model farm, and is listed as a national historical landmark.

However, the architecture of the building is not the only reason for the landmark status.

“First of all, the building is a national landmark because of the significance of the people that lived there,” said Arvid Osterberg, professor of architecture. “That’s why it qualified.”

The building has changed considerably since its original state – it once was the only building in the midst of vast farmland.

Now it is surrounded by large buildings such as Ross Hall and the Jischke Honors building.

The Farm House was originally brick, not stucco, Osterberg said.

The front porch is different from the original house, as are the gutters, downspouts, plantings and landscape.

The exterior is restored to the turn of the century, around 1910, Pohlman said. The landscaping project would be true to the restored time period.

The historical aspects of the expansion are a matter of judgment, Osterberg said.

“As long as the building and grounds are well respected, it is possible to make changes and still respect the character,” he said. “It depends on the context and the change.”

The other concern for the Farm House is parking. Currently there are four or five spots along the west side of the road reserved for University Museums. If the road is expanded, the parking spots are likely to be lost.

“These few spots are for the external audience,” Hampton said. “Many of the patrons are older, so having parking near the museum is essential.”

Hampton said the Farm House would benefit from the widening of the road.

“[The road] would be more frequently traveled, which would mean more exposure for the museum,” she said.

Before a final decision is made on the widening of Knoll Road, a study would be done to analyze the needs of student, pedestrian and service vehicles, Brown said.

Right now, the project to widen Knoll road is in its conceptual stages, Brown said.

The university is still working out the details of how much of the area could be consumed by concrete if the project goes through, Hampton said.