Iowa kids convene at ISU to learn about agriculture

Susan Mackey

High school students from all over the state have been on campus most of the week to learn and explore the different opportunities at the Iowa Agricultural Youth Institute.

“Seventy-two students from all over Iowa have been involved this year,” said Machelle Shaffer, communications director for the Iowa Department of Agriculture. “They get the chance to bond with other students interested in agriculture.”

The four-day event started Monday with an official welcome from the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Patty Judge and ISU President Gregory Geoffroy.

Small group activities, workshops in all different parts of agriculture and leadership activities have been a number of the things going on during the event.

Learning all the different types of jobs and fields that are incorporated with agriculture is a big part of the Institute, Shaffer said.

“I wanted to find out about the different careers that are associated with ag, and [the institute] has helped build a lot of confidence in myself,” said Elizabeth Becker, junior in high school from Toddville.

Job interviews are another thing that the attendees got to learn about.

“Knowing how to act and knowing your strengths and weaknesses in interviewing is very important,” Shaffer said.

One of the main topics emphasized are the challenges that are facing the agriculture world today, Shaffer said.

“Ninety-two percent of Iowa’s land is somehow agriculture-related and we need to keep young people interested,” Shaffer said. “Teaching them that the face of ag is changing rapidly and how to accept it is very important, and how to change with it.”

“This has made me a more of a dependable person; I have tried to work a lot on my leadership skills,” said Adam Bowers, junior in high school from Alburnett.

The Iowa Agricultural Youth Institute finished up Thursday with a trip to Des Moines including a tour of the state capitol, a welcome from Gov. Tom Vilsack and a wrap-up and dismissal in Ames.